Chapter 8

“Do we even have a map?” I asked a very eager Katelyn as we walked through the school’s front gates.

“Now where’s the adventure in that, cupcake?” she grinned.

“And your sure I’m not under dressed?” I asked for the third time as I looked at her outfit again.

She had changed into a light blue dress that exposed her shoulders but still had full sleeves. She had very long, toned legs that were revealed by the dress stopping at her mid thigh. Her black high-heeled ankle boots gave her another two inches over me. She also had a black purse to match the tank top and the boots.

She looked incredibly sexy and I prayed that I would be able to keep my eyes off her body- and those legs- for however long we were out together.

In contrast, I was wearing dark skinny jeans, a green cami and a plain gray cardigan. My messenger bag didn’t really match my outfit, but I truly hadn’t cared until I saw what she was wearing.

“I’m telling you, I used to dress like this all the time back at home.” She smirked at me. “Besides, I think you look cute.”

I blushed as we kept walking but didn’t reply to that comment. Instead, I drew the conversation back to being about her.

“I never would have pictured you to be the type of girl who would wear dresses.” I admitted.

“Why?” she asked, curiously.

“Because you just always seemed so…” I struggled to find the right word. “Tough, I guess.”

“Any kind of girl can wear a dress if she wants to.” She said. “Even the badass girls.”

“I know, I know. It’s just not normal.”

She laughs. “Not much about me is normal. Besides, why should I spend my life trying to be anyone else’s definition of ‘normal’?”

I pondered over her words and realized that there were two different types of people; those who stick to the status quo and try to blend in, and those who challenge stereotypes and defy expectations. I wanted to try to be the second one like Katelyn.

“’Why fit in when you were born to stand out?’” I muttered as the quote popped into my mind.

But the second I said it, I argued it in my head. I had always been taught to be quiet, observe and stick to myself. How could I change that mindset if it is all I have ever known? Why should I want to change it? Maybe I was born to fit in.

“That’s my motto, some good old Dr. Seuss for you.” She said.

There was a bit of an awkward silence floating around us mainly because I just didn’t know what to say on the matter. Believe it or not, it’s hard to lightly discuss something you are so unsure of.

Before too long, we entered one of London’s “tourist” parks, Hyde Park. It was a huge place that was known for being one of the largest parks in London with a lake and rose garden.

“This place looks amazing.” Katelyn breathed when the pure sparkling blue lake came into site.

Hundreds of tall trees surrounded the lake; birds could be heard singing in their branches. On the side across from us, there was a dock with a lot of boats near it. Some people were out on the lake in paddleboats and others were out on boats made for fishing. Ducks swam in the water, not seeming to care about the boats.

“Yeah, it definitely is.” I replied. When I turned back to her, I saw that she had just started walking towards the lake. “What are you doing?”