Love is a Funny Thing

A Valentine's Special

Originally in Laurus {@xxboy_}.

Nicholas Mann sat at a table in a little pastry shop near his house. He tapped his fingers to the soft acoustic music that played in the background. He was waiting for his girlfriend, Beatrice. They had been going steady for about a year now. The reason Nicholas was so anxious to see her was the fact that she had been visiting her parents in Minnesota for a week. It had been a long week.

The shop was warm and quiet. Nic had gotten a little table that was far from the door, but not too far, so he could see Beatrice when she came in. He closed his eyes and took a deep breath through his nose. As he smelled the sweet smell of breads and scones and cinnamon rolls baking, he heard the cold rush of air entering from the opening door. He opened his eyes and smiled.

“Hey, Bee,” Nic greets her. He stands up as she approaches and gives her a hug. Beatrice wasn’t smiling when she walked in, but she put one on her face as he breaks the hug and gives her a smile.

Nic moves back to his seat to sit down. “I got you your usual. I thought you might need something to warm you up.” He nods down to the coffee sitting in front of Bee’s seat. He then noticed she wasn’t sitting. She was instead standing at the table, looking at him with a sad look.

“What is it?” Nic asked, concerned and confused.

Beatrice looked at him. She finally spoke: “I think I want to break up with you.”

Nic’s gaze froze as he looked into her eyes. He liked Beatrice. He liked her a lot. And he thought she liked him too, considering they were still dating.

This came as a surprise to Nic, but he didn’t show it on the outside. Couldn’t. It was easier to act indifferent. He gestured at the seat across from him, successfully placating Bee to sit.

“You think you do? Or you do?” He leaned back in his chair. Beatrice seemed a bit unsure; might as well make sure she was really thinking straight.

“I do, Nic. It’s just…with the things that are going on with my brother right now, and the stress of my job; I’m not sure I’m really ready to keep having a serious relationship with you.” Bee fidgeted with her hair, looking down at the table. “I like you, but I’m sorry.” She looked at Nic, her hands finally still, her face finally relieved.

Nic wanted her to think it was ok, but it certainly wasn’t. He’d never liked a girl so much in his life, and now she wanted out. It wasn’t that he was angry, just disappointed. The angry would probably come later.

“I really liked you, Bee,” he started.

“I know, I’m sorry-”

“But it’s ok.” Nic finished with a smile. “I suppose I’ll see you around. But for now, how about we enjoy one last coffee together?”

Beatrice smiled back.

They enjoyed their drinks.

                                                                   ***

After a week, Nicholas Mann called Emma Pierce. She was an old friend of his who always liked him more than he liked her.

Nic was surprised to find himself over that terrible breakup after such a short amount of time. He was very upset the day Beatrice talked to him, but by the end of the week, he didn’t feel bothered by it anymore. It was almost as if he had no feelings at all. It was then that he remembered Emma. More, he remembered how she felt about him.