Day 6: What Makes a Hero?

The way you look at me now, I wish I could take it all back and change the expression that looms over my brawny appearing fragile body. I could tell you not to walk out that door, but I have no power over you. I could tell you how much that you mean to me, but words couldn’t prevail through you so easily. I could tell you and show you how much I love you and how much you mean to me, but you’d just still be my mother that had work about almost every day and a cell phone that is worse than a doctor’s pager.

You were always a beautiful brunette woman that I had to share my whole life with, and as a child I thought that this was ideal and that nothing could change this. I began to grow up, began to rebel against you and the world, and mostly I began to see the real you; a woman that was strong like a rock but weak like glass.

I thought that I could keep you in a small tower in this castle our family has built for others. I thought that if you could stay in this tower, you were unattainable and that you could always keep the front of being the strong Queen that you were to me. I didn’t want any monsters to taint any part of this castle, so as I saw you, I learned to make up a façade that was easy to believe just like yours.

I’m sure though, that if you stayed in that tower that I made for you; you wouldn’t have come out to be a real Queen that didn’t run away from situations. You were a Queen that overcame her fear in a matter of seconds when the opportunity came towards you. You took charge and when I gazed at you, I remembered the Queen’s ruby jeweled crown that your wore so mightily.

The past before me, with your family was hard, as was having to overcome having to replace the valve in your heart. If this were me, I would have lost all hope and jumped down from the thirty-one floored building that we reside in. Listening to you tell stories of your past and seeing you continue your life as a normal business woman, life felt more at ease.

Although, every aspect of you gave me every right to find you as a heroine: strong, brave, overcoming, challenging, strong-willed, whole-hearted, and warm… some part of me secretly wished that you would need me and that you would call out to me. Your son. You’re King. You’re fan.