Chapter 15 - He's Gone

REWRITTEN

   He's gone, all because of me, he's gone.

***

Keith's POV

I sit, silently sobbing as I squeeze Jay tightly in an embrace, my tears landing on her shoulder. Losing Brett was like losing a brother, and it hurt worse than losing my parents, my home, my name, everything! It hurt so much to think that the one person I've trusted and the one person that was there for me when I needed is gone, his life taken away because of them...because of Walker.

I hear footsteps from above again, I suck in my breath and hold it there.

"Did you check everywhere in the house?"

"Yes sir, all has been checked and they aren't here."

"Very well, you know what to do," Walker states.

"Sir, what about the body?"

Walker scoffs, "leave it here, show them what we can do, show them that we wont stop at nothing until I get what I want."

You're never going to get that want.

"Yes sir." the Shadow Man strides back inside, the quiet clicking noises of Walker's shoes still clapping against the porch above us as he peers everywhere, then he goes back inside the house, leaving.

"W-we have to move," I choke out, the words coming as nothing but empty breaths.

Jay nods, pulling away and standing up, her hair falling over her shoulders. I stand, leading the way up the stairwell, I shut my eyes as soon as they land on his body, lying limp and drowning in a puddle of redness...blood...his blood.

It's coming from his mouth and chest, where they shot him. My lungs confine, and I hear Jay let out a gasp from beside me apron seeing him lie there, helpless. He was killed for no reason...no reason.

I turn Jay around, her back against my chest as I take her into the house, sparing a glance at him, who's gone forever.

Forever.

As we make it inside, the heavy aroma of smoke fills the dense air. The smell grows as flames come crackling from the dinning room, engulfing the floors, the burning inferno rising and making it's way around the living room.

Then the fire alarms blare, and Jay instantly covers her ears.

"Run!" I yell, as the ceiling starts to cave in, the wood buckling under our feet as we rush to the door, the knob burning hot as my skin touches it.

I pull it open and see that all Shadow Men are gone, as if they weren't even here, the smoke rises, making my eyes water.

I pace to my black Ford, going to open the door but I see that the window is broken, glass pieces covering the leather seats. The place where the steering wheel was is now gone, completely tore out. I run my hands through my hair and stare at the asphalt, then I see that the tires are slashed. I curse under my breath.

"Great! They trapped us here!" I scream out in agony. I kick a rock down the road, not able to contain my anger much longer.

"Keith," I hear her whisper from behind me, I pivot on my heel and see that she's staring wide eyed out in front of her, petrified. "T-there coming back."

I grab her arm, pulling her arm and she stumbles. I dash down the street, refusing to turn back.

"Where are we going!"

"The forest!" I shout.

"The forest!" she protests, still running with me as the trees become closer, becoming taller.

"Yes! The forest!"

We run, run as fast as our legs could carry us, running into the deep, the tree branches sway in the wind, the leaves being ruffled by the breeze. We run straight, within seconds, we're lost within the labyrinth of tall oak and pine tree mix.

We run farther away, away from them...away from Walker.

two words continuously repeat in my head.

He's gone.

He's gone.

He's gone.

Forever.

__________

Short chapter, but I hope you liked it👍👍

HAPPY READING!

Question of the day: What's your favorite part in this story so far?

~AlexisJadeS22

❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️