Chapter 14 - Unpleasant Visit

REWRITTEN

   "Will you guys be alright here, home alone all by yourselves again while I go to work?"

Keith puts his thumb up, "yeah, we'll be fine, you make some bank," he smirked.

Brett chuckles, "yeah, but it sucks you two can't go anywhere, because...you know," Brett says, suggestively.

Keith waves him off, "nah, it's fine, we'll be alright."

"Okay, well if you ever need anything just call me, you have my number," Brett strides to the kitchen counter, grabbing his keys and coming back to the living room where Keith and I are casually sitting. My thoughts are all over the place, not paying attention to anything that's happening around me at all.

I snap out of my trance, blinking rapidly as I spot Keith gazing at me from the corner of my eye.

"What?" I ask, confused.

"Nothing," he lets out a small chuckle, his dark, husky voice whispering in a hushed tone.

Brett reaches for the doorknob, but stops abruptly in his movement.

"Hide," was the only thing that left his mouth as his eyes narrowed into slits, peering outside at something on the driveway.

"What is it?" I question.

"Go, outside, go, before they see you!" He whisper-shouts, dodging my question completely.

Keith stands, taking my hand in his and leading us outside to the back patio, sparks flying all over my body at his touch, no matter what, I'll never get used to his touch. On the back patio, the sun causes a glare on the modern furniture, I cover my eyes on instinct.

Keith paces over to the back of a large grill and stacked patio chairs that are under a tarp, all the while someone harshly knocks on the door. Brett peaks outside, looking for us and finds us tucked away behind the grill and chairs.

"Don't move, and don't make a sound, okay?"

We both nod, Keith pulls me onto his lap as he wraps his warm,muscular arms around my small figure, placing his chin on my shoulder, breathing silently.

"Who's out there?"

"I don't know," he moves further into the corner, me still on his lap, the chairs providing a perfect place to tuck away and not be seen.

The knocking continues, as Brett goes back inside to open the door.

"Hello-"

"Where are they? Where are you hiding them?!" A masculine voice asks, demanding an answer.

The front door isn't far from where we are, hidden away, so I can hear their conversation perfectly through the cracked open window.

Then my thoughts flicker back to the key.

We're following you.

"I'm sorry sir, but who are you talking about?" Brett's voice sounding sickly sweet, he asks the man standing at the door.