Streaming

Streaming

Her face was streaming when I found her. Streaming with tears or just the rain, I wasn’t entirely sure.

Then the look, the look she gave me — those large, dark, blue eyes of hers so distant. It was as if she’d never known me, and I’d just intruded on her in this vast, empty park.

As my dear friend, I wanted to put my arms around her, take her home.

But that look. I didn’t dare touch her. She had that look of a cornered, feral creature. I’d trespassed on something. I’m not sure what, but I wasn’t welcome in this moment of solitude she’d carved out for herself.

So, I stood there in the rain. I could wait her out. No words. Just silent company. I figured it was the least I could do.

* * *

Since we found each other some time ago, Ellette has been ever present in my life. Yet, we know only the barest basics about one another. The day to day, the habits, likes and dislikes, we know intimately. You can’t live in a tiny apartment together for the better part of a year without gaining that comfortable knowledge of one another. Our pasts, though, our lives before the here and now, we don’t talk about.

I figure hers is as pained as mine. I don’t ask, don’t pry. Its none of my business. She’s a quiet girl, and I’ll let her keep it that way if she chooses to be.

It does, though, make it difficult, considering some of the experiences we’ve shared. We’ve grown very close over the winter, or at least... I think we have. I’d like to take things further, I’d like to... well, you know. Be more than friends.

Nothing changes, though. She jokes, teases, has her moody moments, but at any hint of intimacy, it just stops. She’s quite skilled at changing the conversation, finding an excuse, avoiding.

I don’t push. I don’t dare. I care about her too much... but I want to know what it is... what the source of this hesitance is. More importantly, I want to know more about her, to feel free to ask. I just... can’t.

Then, out of the blue... she was gone.

* * *

I felt her gaze find me after some time. I was hesitant to look down where she sat, to meet those eyes. She said nothing.

My hands were aching from the cold. I couldn’t imagine how she could stand it. She was thin and wore just her basic tee shirt and jeans. Nothing to protect against this chill and wet.

I turned ever so slightly, lowering my gaze to hers. I nearly jumped when she spoke.

“It always rains...” she started, then her voice trailed off, and I wondered what I’d missed. Her eyes had shifted from me to look out over the rolling green of the park.

I almost opened my mouth, almost asked, when she spoke again.

“Rain. She said it cleanses the world. Washes it all way,” she shook her head, sadly. “I wish... I felt that way...” she sighed softly, shifting in her position on the grass.

“Before she got sick, we lived together. I’d never had so much fun... never felt so... complete, so whole.”

A small smile graced her lips now, and she looked up at me. My heart caught under that look. “I feel like that with you...”

“Ellette...” my response was a breathy utterance. I put my hand out to her, to help her up. I wanted to get her home, to get out of this cold. It was seeping into my bones, my hands would be stiff for days. Ellette, though, she wasn’t nearly as cold tolerant as I was. I could see the tinge of blue to her lips, the bright red flush to those pale cheeks. She would be sick after this, I had no doubt.