[12- Admission]

"Did I say something to offend you?" He asked.

"Why would you say that?" I said, trying to keep my voice as even as I possibly could.

He cocked an eyebrow, "I'm not an idiot, Eleanor. I can tell something about you is different."

"Everything is fine." My voice cracked. Crap, dead give away. Being subtle was not my forte. My facade was crumbling. Well, no point delaying the enviable. It was now or never.

I whispered in complete seriousness, "I know what you really are." Well there goes my approach of only saying enough. I couldn't help myself. Everything in my body told me to leave but my curiosity and desire to trust him got the best of me.

His face froze abruptly, as if he were afraid that I had said too much. He knew what I meant. To any other person it sounded cryptic but his reaction confirmed my suspicions.

Emmett was staring at me curiously, that same, familiar edge of frustration even more distinct now in his flawless eyes. I stared back, surprised, expecting him to look quickly away. But instead he continued to gaze with probing intensity into my eyes.

The bell rang loudly, making me jump, and Emmett was out of his seat. Fluidly he rose, his back to me, and he was out the door before anyone else was out of their seat.

As I got in the car to go home, the Cullen's jeep was absent, I was guessing that it belonged to Emmett after he made a hasty retreat.

After school, I attempted to clear my mind with my math homework but it seemed to have the opposite effect. I yanked my phone from the charger, impulsively messaging Emmett, "Come over". Panic flooded my senses as I hit the send button. Mom just left to buy groceries so why not.

He replied, "See you in a sec." Did he mean to say minutes? I was sure he told me he lived outside of town.

Suddenly I heard a tap on my window, I spun my chair around, it was him. He looked like he had just finished shooting a commercial for rain jackets. His smooth marble span of his forehead was partially obscured by a tangle of rain-darkened black hair. An uncomfortable smile graced his faultless face. I wheeled over to the window and unlatched it. In a gracefully swoop, he was standing in my room.

The room suddenly felt a lot smaller with him inside. My eyes quickly scanned the floor, making sure I didn't leave anything embarrassing out.

"I'm sorry I left so abruptly at school," Emmett said softly, "You caught me off guard. I needed to talk to Carlisle."

"Did you know I... knew?" I asked, remembering his peculiar behaviour and tense conversation before school.

He chuckled, "Sort of. Alice knew but I wasn't entirely convinced. She told me to be cautious. I didn't know how to act; whether I should completely avoid you and leave or pretend everything was fine."

"So you did both?"

"I guess so. I don't think I could ever leave."

There was an awkward pause.

"I suppose you want to know how I know," I finally broke the silence. He nodded, his face turned serious.

"Well I first noticed something different about you at the cafeteria. I guess like most, you caught me off guard. And i shook Dr Cullen's hand after my appointment and his skin was so cold. Inhumanly cold. I dunno, I was just curious. I know humans couldn't be that strong and agile and still look normal. And then I got to know you better on Saturday and noticed your eyes changed color. When you left I researched for a solid two hours and found the most likely answer. You're a vampire," I blathered, almost out of breath. I decided not to mention my hacking, considering it was illegal and I didn't want to go to prison.

"You have a shrewd mind, more than most humans," he said, confirming my theory.

"You aren't concerned about my diet?" he then asked. I couldn't tell if he was being sarcastic.

"Oh," I murmured, "I know vampires hunt people," I said blatantly, maybe too blunt. "But if you wanted to kill me you would have done it sooner," I added.

"We try not to kill humans, only killing animals," he explained slowly. "We're usually very good at what we do. Sometimes we make mistakes. Why aren't you scared? I just told you I have the potential to kill you. Most people would run away."

I shook my head, "I can't exactly run. And I'm not like most people. I don't know why but I don't feel scared anymore. At first I did. I wanted to leave. But something about you made me feel safe and I don't want to leave anymore."