Chapter Eighteen

Ship names for the King and Rowan are: Kierowan, Rowan, Kieran, Kien, and Krown all provided by the incredible Luciano_Obsesser! I hope y'all enjoy the chapter and have been doing well!

Chapter Eighteen:

The next few weeks were similar in comparison, excluding the excitement of the hunters. At the end of each week, we would request that everyone in the castle leave. There were, of course, no complaints for fear of the King's wrath.

Sage and I would then leave with King Sandalius, Shaterria staying behind to take messages brought while we were away. She would ask to come along from time to time, but every time it was decided that she would stay behind. Sage promised she would be allowed when the King was more stable and that he would be the one to stay behind.

The walks through the forest were longer each week, the King demanding to stay out for a while more. Sage would attempt persuading him that we should head back before the moon rose, but it was useless as the King never listened. When he was finally ready to leave, the moon would accompany us on the way back, in the lead.

King Sandalius' changes were only now becoming noticeable. Where he had once appeared coiled and hardened, he was now alert and calculating. His skin had become a few shades darker, eagerly soaking up what the sun had to offer. Even his movements were less stiff and more natural, walking with authority.

He would sometimes shift into his wolf and run ahead of us, causing an endless amount of stress for Sage. However, before the day ended, we would locate him and he would shift back appearing more relaxed than ever. Sage had gotten into the habit of bringing along an extra pair of clothes for him.

Now, the King was speaking quietly to Shaterria at the castle doors while Sage and I waited outside. Sage had worn his uniform for most trips, but he would occasionally wear just his pants and a regular shirt with a vest, as he was doing today.

It was odd seeing him without the helmet, his hair tied up in a bun. It seemed I had forgotten there was a man underneath all the layers he wore. Even the King appeared different, wearing a shirt with less holes than usual and a pair of dark jeans. His hair was also tied back, but in a ponytail.

I, on the other hand, was wearing a pair of shorts and a shirt that I wore while working in the forest. My hair was tied similar to the King's as it would frizz throughout the day and become a nuisance if I did not do so.

The King's talk with Shaterria ended, the doors closing behind him as he joined us. The King led the way, Sage and I following behind as usual. Todd joined us occasionally; however, he steered clear of the King most of the time. Today he was nowhere in sight, having left earlier.

We had begun walking and were now in the forest, getting farther away from the castle. Even now, the King still ran his hand along the trees, bushes, and everything he could. It pleased me to see someone appreciate nature and all of her beauty.

"Tell me about our home."

I glanced towards the King, who had not turned in our direction when he asked the question. He was looking up at a tree, where upon closer inspection I noticed a bird's nest lay. The mother was quiet, even her chicks silencing their crying for the moment.

"It is a small house in the middle-" I started, but he shook his head, a frown settling.

"He means your home, Rowan. Your forest," Sage supplied, his body turned to me. His own eyes were filled with curiosity, as if the subject interested him as well.

I shrugged, walking towards the tree where the King stood. "Back up," I murmured, looking once at the King. He hesitated, as if he wanted to object, but he did as told and went near Sage.