Chapter Fourteen

I AM NOT DEAD SURPRISINGLY. I just haven't had motivation to write, but I'm back! I have been writing for the past few weeks, but it's been a new story, which is started. It's called "melancholia" and you can find it on my page! Anyways, thank you to those of you who haven't completely given up on me just yet. I know I'm a mess but I working on it. And, of course, I hope you enjoy the chapter!  

Chapter Fourteen

When we arrived back at the castle, there stood Shaterria, her arms crossed as she watched us. Her dark eyes were filled to the brim with suspicion, but Sage and I remained quiet as we rode up to her.

"What are you up to?" This question is not pointed towards both of us but stabbed directly at me.

"I wanted to see my father, so I did," I replied crisply, pulling the horse up to a stop and climbing off. I gently stroked his head before handing over the reins to a nearby guard.

Sage did the same, walking up next to me. Shaterria examined us both, the fiery look in her eyes portraying she was not yet satisfied by my answer.

"That required a mass of guards to chase after you? Sage, are you going to continue her lie for her or tell the truth?" She asked, and I clicked my tongue in response to show my distaste for her words.

Sage shot me a look before turning his attention to her. "She informed me when I found her that she was visiting her father. Rowan came back willingly so I do not see the need for alarm," he answered calmly, causing Shaterria to sigh, her dark eyes glancing towards the sky.

"I see you intend to be dragged down into the trenches with her," she started before adding, "The King requested your presence, Rowan."

I felt Sage's hand brush against the small of my back, as if not trusting me to leave. "Then we shall go," he said, nodding at Shaterria before gently guiding me towards the entrance.

However, Shaterria shook her head, placing a hand on Sage's chest. "You are to assist me with an errand. Rowan is to go alone."

I could feel the air freeze around us, waiting for chaos to strike. But Chaos remained hidden, deciding now was not the best time.

Still, Sage frowned, his light eyes holding an overcast. "I am not to leave her alone with him, no matter the circumstances. You know-" Sage started arguing with Shaterria, his voice firm.

"I will be fine. I can handle my own against him," I said, cutting their words off.

"I would have faith in you if I did not know about your attitude," Sage shot back without hesitation.

I crossed my arms, raising an eyebrow. "Then you are willing to place your distrust in me over your loyalty for King Sandalius? If you join me, you would only be disobeying and disrespecting him."

I could finally see him yield to me, hearing his sigh and the frustration within his body language. "Rowan," he started as if to lecture. But I would not hear it.

"I will be fine," I pressed, and I could see him waver.

"You need to be careful, Rowan. You may be the Tamer of Animals, but he is not just an animal. Keep that in mind," he said, the anger having drained from him as it was replaced with a mix of worry and caution.

I feigned annoyance, however, I was anything but. The few times I had been with the King had not gone well and I did not think it was wise to go alone. I knew animals, but humans were still a mystery to me.