The Nightmare

As the weeks went by, Beverly stays in the infirmary healing. Bucky would visit her every day telling her all the events from that day and get her her dinner. After a full month, she was ready for the field again and couldn't wait. The nurse said she was able to sleep in her cot again. On the way there, a couple of guys high-five her making her laugh. 'Good to be back' she thought. She makes it there, saying hello to the other girls, and makes herself comfortable for bed. She drifts to sleep pretty fast from the pain meds.

________________________

Beverly and Bucky sit on down against a tree trunk, doing their usual routine of sharing an apple, having small talk, and cracking stupid jokes with one another.

"You know when this was is over, we gotta go to Coney Island together. I think it would fun," he beams at her.

"What I think we should do is help Steve get a girlfriend. He deserves to be happy. It seems like he's gone through so much from what you've told me." She implies. Bucky lifts up his arm to put it over her shoulder and she leans against him. 'Smooth move,' Bucky thought.

Suddenly shots were fired and they take position in the fox hole. Beverly goes off to another area but Bucky makes sure to keep a look out for her.

She eventually comes crawling back looking for a gun. Eventually, Bucky has to reload so Beverly snatches the gun Bucky has on his belt and gets out of the hole. She shoots the Nazi coming after them but she also went down, getting shot in chest. Bucky runs up to her and drops to his knees, lifting Beverly up to his lap.

"Stay with me, Bev. Don't go anywhere! He shouts cradling her. They rush her to base and place her on the table, trying to work fast. The other soldiers hold Bucky back as he tries to get closer to her. Peggy turns around to Bucky shaking her head.

"I'm sorry, Sergeant Barnes. It's too late. She's gone." She apologizes.

Bucky screams in anguish and the guys let go of him as he drops to his knees. Everyone leaves Bucky by Beverly's side so he can grieve by himself as he holds her tight.

"I love you, Beverly." He sobs. After hours of sitting there with her, they had to take her away. Bucky goes back to his tent to see something on his pillow. As he gets closer he sees what it was: her dog tags. He puts them on and holds them tight with his hand as he lays down quietly on his cot.

_______________________________

Bucky sits up quickly looking at his surroundings, seeing everyone asleep. "Just a night nightmare." He whispers and put on his boots before he walks as softly as he could to the infirmary. When he peeks in he has a moment of panic when he doesn't see Beverly. He hurries to her designated tent and sighs in relief when he sees her peacefully sleeping in her own cot. He walks up to her and takes his boots off noticing her shivering a bit underneath the blanket. It was one of those odd cold nights that night. He climbs in the cot next to her as much as he could. Beverly feels some movement and wakes up seeing Bucky real close to her face.

"What are you doing?" She ask.

"Couldn't sleep. Wanted to check up on you." He whispers. She scoots so he could have more space and wraps herself around him so her head was on the crook of his neck and her left leg was tangled around his. He places the blanket over them to warm them up much faster.

"Much better." She whispers with a smile. Bucky kisses her head before they fell asleep in no time.

It was bright and early when Beverly wakes up first. Her eyes were closed still but she could feel Bucky's arms wrapped around her from behind. She turns around so she could face him. He was snoring very lightly but Beverly thought it was cute. Their faces were so close to each other in the small cot that was really only meant for one person. Beverly stares at Bucky for a while as he sleeps and starts to play with his hair. He mumbles something incoherent in his sleep that she couldn't understand and pulls her closer to him so their foreheads were now touching. She couldn't help herself but to give him a kiss on cheek.