Chapter 7

A strained, heavy silence filled the air. Adam glared at the woman in the long emerald green dress while she gazed back coolly. Belle's eyes continued to flicker between the two, still feeling uncertain. She fidgeted and shifted from foot to foot, the silence and their apparent discussion making her feel uncomfortable. Finally, unable to handle the deafening quiet, she took a step away from Adam, firmly placing herself between her love and this Enchantress before speaking.

"What do mean...'it didn't work'? What was supposed to happen?" Belle asked.

Adam and the Enchantress broke eye contact to look at Belle. The Enchantress opened her mouth to answer, but was stopped by Adam's raised hand.

"I should explain," he informed her. The Enchantress sighed and gave him a curt nod. He returned the gesture before looking down at Belle. "As I'm sure you have figured out, our love broke the spell that was placed on me. It's our kiss that breaks what's left of the spell, the one over the castle and our friends--"

"But despite that, your kiss did not work," the Enchantress cut in. She took a step towards the couple, taking a hold of Belle's hands in both of hers. "It's not that your love isn't true -- as I said, it very much is -- but there appears to be a rather strong force preventing the spell from being lifted."

It took Belle only a moment to determine what -- or rather, who -- is stopping the spell from being broken.

"Gaston." she gasped.

The Enchantress nodded solemnly, her cool hands squeezing Belle's in sympathy.

Adam's eyes widened, then suddenly narrowed as he clenched his teeth and curled his fingers into a fist.

"How is that possible?!" he hissed.

The Enchantress looked back at Adam, her expression tight with unknown emotions.

"I'm not entirely sure," she replied quietly. "My only guess is that when that beastly man stabbed you, some of the magic that tied you to your friends and castle transferred to him."

Adam growled and stalked away. Belle couldn't help but smile. While he seems to have more control over his temper, she knew it would always be there.

The Enchantress kept a hold of her hands, but her gaze was focused back on the now-pacing, growling prince. Belle searched the mysterious woman's face for some clue, some little hint that the Enchantress is not letting on. Somewhere, deep inside her, she knows the other woman isn't telling the whole truth.

"If what you're saying is true," Belle said quietly. "Then there must be a way to undo Gaston's power over the castle."

The Enchantress snapped her attention back to Belle. She looked genuinely surprised by the young woman's eagerness.

"I suppose so," she consented.

Belle smiled again, happy that they're finally getting somewhere.

"Could there be a counter spell? A magical object like the rose?" the young woman wondered.

The Enchantress was silent. She released Belle's hands and started to pace. Her expression confirmed what Belle already knew: there is something that could help.

Once Adam had calmed down, he rejoined the two women. He wrapped an arm around Belle's shoulders. She turned to look at him and gave him a small smile. He smiled back and gave her a gentle squeeze. They turned their gaze back to the pacing woman.

Suddenly she stopped. Her constant glow dimmed and her face was grave. Clearly, she had an idea -- but not one she was comfortable with.

"I think I know what you must do," the Enchantress announced quietly.

"What? What is it?" Adam urged.

The Enchantress gave the couple a piercing gaze.

"You must repeat actions of the past," she replied.

Adam lifted an eyebrow. "Meaning...?"

She shook her head, reluctant to answer.

"You have to use the same knife Gaston used to stab you, but instead you must stab him," Belle whispered.

Adam's eyes widened. He gripped Belle's shoulder in an effort to keep himself grounded. She placed a hand on his and squeezed it reassuringly.

"Do you mean..." he muttered. "I have to kill him?"

"It's not necessary, but I wouldn't exactly put it past you. Or anyone else for that matter," the Enchantress lifted one shoulder indifferently.

Adam bit his lip, but gave her a single, understanding nod.

The Enchantress looked up to the sky. "I must take my leave now," she announced suddenly. "I have many things to do. But I promise, I will return when the time comes. Farewell."

A flash of light, and the female enigma vanished.

"Well...that was...interesting." Belle stated.

Adam laughed, pulling her closer to his side. "That's one way to put it," he replied.

Belle laughed as well. She wrapped her arms around his torso and buried her head into his chest.

"I'm so happy that you're here," she whispered into his shirt.

Adam placed a soft kiss on top of her head and tightened their embrace.

"Me too," he murmured.

The couple held onto each other for a long time.

In the distance, a small figure hid behind one of the many statues that litter the garden. Although LeFou was far enough that he couldn't hear the conversation that had just occured, but close enough to see everything.

I have to tell Gaston! he thought, pushing away from the statue and running to the nearest set of doors.