Chapter 1

The Doctor really didn't know what to expect to find outside the TARDIS' doors. One thing is sure: he didn't expect this.

He expected to find the end of the world, complete with explosions and screaming humans. The street they've landed on is so very empty, and so very quiet.

"Maybe you got the date a bit wrong", Donna suggests.
He shakes his head.
"No, that's not it. Something's wrong."
"Well, you did say the world was ending..."
"Then why isn't it?"

The truth is that the world is very far from ending, at least here on Earth.

The TARDIS had landed in the middle of a street. They've got a line of little shops on each side, and there's a few street lamps casting a glow on the pavement. Everything is very peaceful.

"It's just an ordinary London street", Donna points out.
The Doctor spins around to face her.
"But it can't be! There must be something out of the ordinary here, there must be!"
He grabs his sonic from one of his pockets, searching for the right setting before he begins scanning the area.

"Doctor..."
"What?"
Donna never replies. She's far too busy looking at something somewhere behind him. The Doctor hesitates for a short second before he turns around again.

A girl is running towards them. She looks very young, at least six years old. Maybe five. Her blond hair is flowing is the wind behind her as she runs, the backpack thrown over her shoulder slamming into her hip with each step she takes. Her eyes searches for the Doctor's, and suddenly she's looking right at him. A smile makes its way across her face and her eyes seem to actually light up.

She cries out suddenly, falling forward and catching herself with her hands. The Doctor runs over to her. She pushes herself up until she's sitting on the ground instead of standing on all fours, once again looking right at him.
"Daddy?"
She sounds unsure and there's hope in her eyes, and the Doctor's hearts comes to a stop.

Then Donna's at his side, looking at the cut of the girl's knee. It's bleeding, but it doesn't seem like the pain is bothering her. His companion's face gets all soft, and she starts talking to the little girl.

"Hello, sweetie. What's your name?"
"I'm Ashie", she replies proudly.
Donna smiles.
"Alright Ashie, we need to get your knee fixed up. Is that okay?"
Ashie nods.
"See that blue box over there? We need to get you there to fix your knee. Do you think you can walk?"
This time, she shakes her head.

Donna sighs.
"We're gonna have to carry her", she tells the Doctor.
"I've got it", he says, already wrapping the little girl in his arms.

***

The Doctor gently sets Ashie down on the examination table in the TARDIS med bay, dropping her flowery backpack beside her. He kneels down to take a good look at the wound on her knee. It's not that deep, and he picks up a small tool to start sterilizing it. She flinches when the instrument buzzes softly, but quickly relaxes when she realizes it's not going to hurt her.

When the wound is free from bacteria, the Doctor starts to clean away the blood. Ashie does flinch a little as the tissue he's holding touches her sore skin around the wound, but other than that she just watches him silently.

The Doctor works quickly and quietly: dumping the bloody tissue on the floor and standing up to get the bandages. When he returns Ashie has unzipped her backpack and is holding out an envelope towards him.

"For you", she says.
He takes the envelope from her tiny hand, looking at it. The Doctor is written across the back of it in a pretty handwriting. He turns it over in his hands, searching for any hints about who it might be from. There are none, and he rips it open. The letter seems to be several pages long, so it must be something important. Why would Ashie know to give it to him, though?

Taking a deep breath, he starts reading.

My dear Doctor!

There's so many things I want to tell you, I don't even know where to start. I guess I should start with some kind of apology, though. I'm sorry. I'm sorry things turned out the way they did. I'm sorry. I love you. And I miss you.

I guess you've met Ashie by now. She's a lot like you in many ways, you know. Biologically she's four, but mentally she's so much older. She knows so many words. She's by far the youngest first grader, but she's also the smartest kid in the class. And she's got two hearts.

I think you're very confused now, and that's okay. I understand. I would be too. In case you haven't figured it out: she is your daughter. Yours and mine. She's ours.

I've been telling her stories of you ever since she was a little baby. I've told her about all our adventures and showed her some pictures. She really looks up to you, you know. She always said she couldn't wait to meet you. I just wish it didn't have to be like this.

The stars are going out over here, Doctor. One by one. No one knows why. It's been going on for a few months now, and honestly it's kind of terrifying. I don't think it's safe here anymore. That's why I sent Ashie to you, cause I knew you'd be able to protect her. As much as I want to see you again, there was only a small crack and we only had the power to send through one person. And I couldn't leave Ashie there on her own.

I hope with all my heart that you'll forgive me, and that you'll learn to love our daughter just like I love her.

I love you very much, my Doctor. And I'm sorry. I'm so sorry.

Forever yours,

Rose

The Doctor didn't realize he's been crying until a single tear lands on the paper in his hands. The letter falls to the floor and he turns to look at little Ashie. She looks sad.

Pushing every dark thought deep down, the Doctor gets to work again. He's just got enough time to finish wrapping the girl's knee in the bandage before the tears start to fall.

He gets up from his kneeling position on the floor, pushing past Donna as he rushes out to the console room.

[Comment/vote x]