16

Okay, I had to do a LOT of research for this, so please do not complain. It was hard to find so much about the brain since we apparently don't know enough about the brain yet, and so I stretched the science of this. Keep in mind I know almost nothing about the brain and that only two of these drugs sounded familiar. Thank you.

Bruce's POV:

Steve brought Percy's bed in for the MRI, and I ran my tests. I searched for anything and everything out of the ordinary, which was easier than you'd think.
Percy's brain was...startling, to say the very least. But I waited for the full results, secretly doing a bit more than the average brain scan... or, any brain scan for that matter.
When I got all the results, I headed back to our original room, where Percy and the others would be waiting. I imagined Percy would be fast asleep by now if these tests were right, and was thankful to Steve, who said he'd get everyone else to wait for me.
When I walked into the room, I found everyone waiting, and, as I'd guessed, a sleeping Percy on the bed.
Annabeth turned to me, looking worried. "He just woke up," she said. "Why is he asleep?"
"Relax, it's perfectly normal for what he's going through."
Spider-Man spoke up. "I slept normally." He said.
"Yes, but you had Venom. This is a different sybiote, and seems to be doing very different things to Percy." I replied.
I offered for them to come sit outside, leaving another agent to watch over Percy. Once we were all comfortable (except maybe Fury, who never really relaxed) I began to explain what was happening to Percy.
"Hurricane is flooding his brain with a mix of GABA, oxytocin, and dopamine at different times." I said.
"Isn't dopamine, like, the happy drug in your brain?" Leo asked.
Jason stared at him.
"What?" Leo asked. "I know things!"
"In answer to Leo," I said, "yes, Dopamine is a pleasure inducing drug in the brain, but it is also responsible for many other things. Dopamine can effect sleep, memories, learning, mood, motor control, and the ability to focus. Hurricane is causing Percy to have adrenaline rushes at random times, keeping him awake longer, but when the dopamine starts to lessen, and drop to it's normal levels when Hurricane doesn't need Percy, he gets exhausted from the sudden lack of adrenaline.
"Not only that, but I believe Hurricane is using the dopamine and somehow controlling just how it effects Percy. Using it to help control his moods, inducing pleasure or rage to make it easier to control Percy. It could also be causing him to loose certain memories, such as what Loki has done. I also found from the MRI that Percy has been experiencing irritation in several areas of the brain, including the Amygdala, the Anterior Cingulate Cortex, and the Nucleus Accumbens."
"Okay." Fury said. "Now say that in a way that normal people can understand Banner." He seemed impatient. Never a good sign...
"Right." I replied. "Well, those are all parts of the brain that would effect Percy's behavior in some way. The Nucleus Accunbens is a tiny but important part of the brain that controls the 'rewards system'. Many hormonal drugs meet here, like dopamine, serotonin, and oxytocin. This area of the brain is also related to laughter, aggression, fear, impulsiveness, and... addiction."
"Wait," Annabeth said. "Your not thinking Percy is addicted to Hurricane are you?" She asked.
"I wouldn't be surprised if he was." I replied, trying to be gentle. "As I was saying, the other two drugs that are effecting his brain, GABA and oxytocin, they effect his emotions as well. "The oxytocin is a drug that effects males differently from females. In Percy's case, it is seemingly rarely used. As for the GABA, (Gamma-aminobutyric acid) that's a calming drug, found in sedatives such as Benzodiazepines. I believe that Hurricane may be issuing it to dull the shock of murdering the criminals and is trying to get Percy to consciously be okay with murder."
"Percy would never-!" Annabeth began.
"I know!" I interrupted her. "Not when he can think for himself, but the sybiote is using drugs in his brain and, in a way we haven't ever seen before, changing Percy's chemical reaction to the things around him. It's also somehow keeping him sane and alive through all the sudden changes in mood and strength. I don't even know how that part of it works, not completely anyways, so we are going to have to find a way to get that thing off of him before it does any permanent damage to his brain!" I hadn't meant to say it so harshly to her, but it was the truth. I sighed. "Sorry."
Annabeth shook her head. "No, your right." She said. "Now how do we get that thing off him?"
I was about to reply when there was a loud crash. We all rushed towards the sound to find a dead agent and a broken window.
Percy was gone.