Chapter Twenty-Three - Oberon

Puck Cainly

After my recovery at home, I was sent back to school.

     I was kind of hilarious, actually, watching the way students kind of skitter out of the way when Theo shadows me to and from class. If he’s not with me, Jesse or Rebecca is. He even tried to claim that I couldn’t carry my own backpack.

     That was a pretty loud argument, but I won in the end but shutting him up with my mouth. It’s a rather useful thing, knowing how to kiss like that.

     We spent Thanksgiving at my house, the Garcia’s, us Cainly’s, Rebecca’s and Caleb’s family. Normally there’d be a fight for seat at the table or we’d simply eat outside, but there still weren’t enough chairs, with the addition of Jesse’s family and Theo.

     This was solved by Mr. Frost, of all people. It turns out that huge table in his dining room is good for something after all.

     If Caleb didn’t believe me when I said that Theo’s loaded, he does now. The most memorable event of the night is when Benny, laughing at something Theo had whispered to him, sprayed food and juice all over Frost senior.

     We all kind of sat there in shocked silence, waiting for him to call in the guards or something and escort us out.

     And then he started laughing. So we all followed suit. It was nice.

     November turned to December and we were let off for the winter holidays. My mom gets kind of crazy with the Christmas decorations, so we spent an entire day hanging lights, setting up glowing reindeers and giant Santa blow ups in the yard and putting up the Christmas tree.

     Unfortunately, Jesse and his mom get just as crazy. It almost hurts to look at our houses together at night.

     A few days later, Theo and I went to the mall to Christmas shop. It might seem kind or girly, but I liked shopping—at least for gifts. I have a small bank account that I’m allowed to dip into when my parents approve.

     I’ve already bought Christmas gifts for Jesse and all of my friends; they’re pretty easy to shop for. Jesse got a bright green and blue jacket, two sizes to big for him with a bright pink poodle on the back. Rebecca got a new perfume that she was raving about, Kyle a t-shirt that has PROPERTY OF GARCIA stamped on it, and Caleb got a Lakers jersey.

     Benny got a new action figure and my parents got gift cards to their favorite restaurant. I even got Mr. Frost a sporty looking collared shirt.

     I’m wandering around the mall now, drifting through the hustle and bustle of frantic Christmas shoppers. It’s only the eighth, but they’re acting like they’ll die if they don’t get all of their stuff now. I even got to watch a cat fight between a girl I thought I recognized from school and a random old lady.

     As enjoyable as the fight was, though, it hasn’t managed to distract me from my problem:

     I have no idea what to get Theo.

     Jesse said to put a bow on my crotch and say, “Merry Christmas!” I flatly turned him down. Caleb’s still kind of awkward about our relationship, but he suggested that I get him a book or something.

       “He’s the type, you know?” He said, shrugging. Rebecca and my mom agreed with Jesse. Perverts.

    And suddenly, it hits me like a sack of potatoes to the head.