Chapter 2 - Obviously

“Sherlock,” John said ten minutes after he arrived at Baker Street. “You don’t have to take this case, you know. If it’s too much–“

            “I’m taking the case.” Sherlock said.

            “Sherlock, if it’s too much for you I’m sure–” Mary, who had come along with John, started.

            “What?” Sherlock asked. ”You think I would let them investigate?”

            “Sherlock,” John said, “it’s Scotland Yard, I’m sure they could handle it.”

            “John, I’m sure that after years of solving crimes you know that they cannot handle a case like this.” Sherlock said, his voice cold.

            John opened his mouth to attempt to defend Lestrade and everyone else at the scene, but Lestrade walked up before he could get any words out.

            “Sherlock,” He said. “We believe we can handle the case, but if you have any information you know already…” He trailed off, apparently remembering who the victim was. He suddenly gave Sherlock a sympathy look, and spoke again. “I’m sorry, Sherlock.”

            “I’ll take the case.” Sherlock said, his straight-faced expression not changing and his voice remaining cold.

            “Are you sure? I’m sure we could–“

            “I will take the case, Lestrade.”

            “Alright,” Lestrade sighed. “Come to my office tomorrow, tell me everything you know. Don’t hold back anything. We’ll catch this bastard, Sherlock.”

            Sherlock looked to the front door of his flat. A coroner was coming through the door with a gurney.

            “Give me five minutes,” Sherlock told Lestrade. “I want to do some more investigating before he’s taken.”

            Lestrade nodded and walked over to the coroner, speaking with him. Sherlock turned and headed towards the bedroom when John spoke. “Do you want me to…?”

            “No,” Sherlock said. “I’d rather do this myself.”

            “Okay.” John said. Mary locked her arm with his. She was big now, only two weeks until her due date.

~         ~         ~         ~

            John and Mary insisted that they spent the night at 221b. In the morning, Mary went out to café with Janine and John accompanied Sherlock to Scotland Yard. When they got to Lestrade’s office, he was waiting for them with a pen and a large notepad in front of him. He was actually going to take notes.

            John and Sherlock sat in two desks that were sat in front of Lestrade’s desk. Lestrade picked up his pen and hovered the tip of it over the top line of the note pad.

            “Anytime you’re ready, Sherlock.” Lestrade said.

            Within seconds, Sherlock was speaking at top speed. “The apartment lock was picked, as well as the door to my flat. I was only gone for twenty minutes, so they were fast, really fast. Gunshot to the heart from behind, gun must have had a silencer. Mycroft was facing away from the shooter, but was flipped over onto his back shortly after because ‘I.O.U’ was carved into his chest above the bullet wound. There were no signs of struggle, so the bullet killed Mycroft within seconds. Of course it would have. There was a letter in a drawer,” Sherlock took a breath and began speaking at top speed again. “Whoever it was, was a female. She is either a close friend or family member of Jim Moriarty, judging by how she wrote about him.” He took the note out of his pocket and handed it to Lestrade who stopped taking notes and opened the letter. “Neat handwriting, she probably writes a lot, she’s had a lot of practice.”