Chapter Nine

Chapter 9: Diversions

Eric and Ary's small confrontation was still burning in my mind by the time I reached school the next day. I was worried that something I'd done had provoked a fight in the McRae household. Thinking and replaying the previous afternoon again and again, I tried to find something that I could have done, but nothing came to mind. I sighed and pushed the subject out of my mind, as I turned into the half full high school parking lot.

I turned off the engine and stared out into the wet weather, looking for the McRaes. I narrowed my eyes and spotted them, standing next to their cars, conversing. Smiling, I climbed out of my truck and made my way over to them. Eric looked up and beamed at me as I approached. He appeared instantly at my side, moving a little too fast for a human, and took hold of my hand.

"Good morning, Bella," he said pleasantly and looked into my eyes with that familiar hunger.

My hand lay limp in his hand; I hadn't quite decided what I was going to do about Eric. He was very attractive and I did feel a certain spark, but I was still broken. In my heart, I felt that I still belonged to Edward. Despite certain trepidations, I gripped Eric's hand a little tighter and followed him back to the group, who stared at our intertwined hands with obvious disapproval.

I greeted everyone, taking notice that Ary was sitting on top of her own car, smiling. "Good morning, Ary," I said.

"Morning Bella," she replied with her normal even tone. She hopped down, brushed off the raindrops clinging to her clothing, and motioned to me. "Can I talk to you for a second?"

"Okay," I said and nodded, following her towards the school. All right, here we go. I knew that Ary was not comfortable with me spending timewith Eric; she was no doubt going to talk to me about him. After a fewminutes, we stopped outside the cafeteria, on the far side of the school.

"Bella," she said slowly, without looking at me. "We're friends right?" Her question sounded like an actual question, rather than a confirmation.

"Yes, of course, Ary," I said and narrowed my eyes. "What's wrong?"

"I'm concerned," she said hesitantly and leaned against a wall. "I'm concerned about you and my brother, Bella." I nodded as she confirmed my suspicion. "When were you planning on telling me?"

I shrugged. "I haven't decided anything, really. Eric confessed his feelings but I told him I'm not the best person to, well, you know…" I trailed off with an awkward half smile.

Ary half smiled and nodded, understanding what I meant; she knew all about my shattered heart and the vampire responsible for it. With a satisfied sigh, we turned and began to walk back to the parking lot.

"So, what did you two do yesterday?" Ary asked me idly.

"Nothing much." I shrugged and smiled weakly at a familiar face that passed me. "We just went hiking and talked; he told me about his past."