Louisiana Dirt-- Paranormal

He lived in a tree house equipped with a rope bridge and wrap around deck, it was actually quite impressive and I couldn’t help but wonder if he built it himself. My bag weighed heavy on my shoulder and the thick Louisiana air clamped onto my clothes. I continued staring at the tree house. This is where I would be living for the summer, in a tree house suffering from the sticky swamp lamp. I tied my hair into a ponytail then looked back up at the porch, he was standing directly in front of me. He was tall, taller than most and the way he stood on the porch staring at me from above aroused shivers down my spine. He looked exactly the way I imagined. Dark hair, dark eyes, dark sun burnt skin. His shape definitely wasn’t disappointing, his shirt wore tight against his chest and his faded jeans sagged on his hips. He was scowling at me as if trying to figure something out.

The toddler standing beside him stood with her hands behind her back and pale stomach sticking out in front of her, she had blonde hair standing out far from her head and dark brown eyes that stared into mine. The baby wore nothing but a diaper, I don’t know what it was about her but I sensed she was a smart baby, young, but very capable.

I clutched the ad tightly in my hand and turned my eyes down to reread it.

Nanny Needed

Live in nanny with experience.

18 and older.

With such little information my mom tried to talk me out of calling for the position. She though maybe I would be murdered by a lunatic and honestly, I wasn’t sure what to expect myself. On the phone he said he had an eleventh month old daughter who needed more interaction with people and his work didn’t allow him to do much. Seeing that he was telling the truth about having a daughter settled a small crevice of worry deep inside my stomach.

The man slightly waved at me then turned into the house, the toddler followed directly behind him, she walked as well as a two year old at such a young age.

The rope bridge stretched from the front door to a platform with a steep set of stairs leading to the ground. The man strolled across the bridge and down the stairs then held his hand out to me.

            “Chris Abraham, Quincy.” He nodded down to the baby who stared back up at me with those piercing brown eyes.

            “Waverly Beaumont.” I shook his hand, still staring into the curious baby’s eyes.”

            “Thank you for answering my ad, Waverly.” Chris’ eyes were sunken in and tired. Quincy tugged on his pants and he hoisted her up. “Say hi, Quincy.”

She continued to stare at me with no response to her father’s request. I smiled

            “Shy, huh?” I could feel sweat gather in my armpits and grazing down my forehead. Quincy and Chris acted as if the head didn’t even phase.

            “Eh, she’ll get used to ya. May take a week or two but she will.” He kissed Quincy’s puffed cheeks. “Do ya need help carrin’ your bags inside?”

            I nodded, “That would be awesome, my arms kill.”

He set Quincy down and picked my bags up in replacement. Quincy bear crawled up the stairs, Chris and I followed behind.

            “Where ya from?” Chris asked as we crossed the bridge. We were at least thirty feet above the ground and tall trees surrounded the area. It was really quite beautiful despite the heat and thick wind.

            “Arkansas, definitely not from a small town like this one, though. I’m from El Dorado, population eighteen thousand four hundred and ninety one.”