Chapter 10

Chapter 10: Ember

I could tell it was morning by the sunrise that shone through  the window.  The rays blinded me, and so I closed my eyes to rid the brightness, still looking as if I've been sleeping.  Everyone else was, that is, until I heard someone move from their bed, their feet creaking on the wooden floor.  

"Audrina? I shifted in my uncomfortable bed, wiping my eyes so I could see the clear image of my best friend walking towards the door. "Where are you going?" 

She turned around to face me, stuttering, "I-uh.  I wanted to go see if there was...anything to eat downstairs.  Yes, that's what I'm doing." 

I moved my legs so they could hang off of the mattress.  I looked up at Audrina, and whispered, "I could join you if you'd like." 

"No thank you.  I just want to be alone right now." And she left, closing the door quietly so Peter wouldn't wake up.  She didn't succeed for he groaned and sat up right after she went out of the room. 

"Where's Audrina going?" Peter yawned. 

I shrugged my shoulders, "I don't even know.  She said she was going to find something to eat...but I don't think that's the full story.  Audrina's looking for someone." 

"Nicholas." He mentioned, and I nodded, standing up. 

"Exactly," I said, slipping my feet into my torn up shoes.  I turned around and looked at Peter, "I'm going to find out why she's with him.  If it's a secret affair with the man whom demands my marriage, then she'll no longer be my friend.  I'd call her a traitor if I catch her in bed." 

"Ember, this is Audrina we're talking about.  She wouldn't do that to you." 

I sighed and walked towards the door, pushing it open while still looking back at Peter, "I'm starting to doubt everything and everyone these days." Then I left to find the suspicious girl. 

I don't know where she would've gone.  Like my theory that I had mentioned before, she could have gone to Nicholas's room to somehow 'converse' with him about anything, or everything.  That's one of the reasons why I would be worried.  It's either a secret affair, or Audrina is trying to reconcile about the curse with him -- hopefully. 

Luckily Prince Nicholas's bedroom was right next to ours.  His door was slightly open, and I heard shuffling and movement from the inside.  Both heavy steps, and soft steps.  There were two people in there. 

I stood next to the door to eavesdrop, listening in to their conversation. 

"There must be another way than force." Audrina said. 

I heard Nicholas groan, then reply back to her, "I don't need force no more.  Your little friend's wonderful curse has granted me access to every desire that I so desperately want from her." 

"We all want what we don't need.  After it's lifted all of those requests will be gone forever, and you wouldn't be able to force your way into her loving you.  You don't even know what love is.  She'll hate you for the rest of both your's and her life." 

"I don't care."  The prince hissed, "Force or not, I will make her love me.  Somehow." 

"Just think of a better way--" I accidentally pushed on the door, and it creaked.  I fell inside, and both Audrina and Nicholas turned to look at me.  Looking up, I saw him smirk. 

He grabbed my arm and pulled me up and towards him, "Well well well, look what we have here.  A snitch.  A gorgeous, nosy, cursed snitch."  

Nicholas tightened his grip on me, and jerked my body towards his, pulling me out of the room and out the door of the building. I tried to pry his hands away from my trembling body – but there was no success. Not only was his position powerful, but also the amount of strength in his bones helped himself with his denying victims – girls.  There was no way that I would be able to escape him until this curse is done for.