Chapter 8

Chapter 8: Audrina

After talking to my unhappy father about our plan to find the cure, he finally gave in and let us go.  It took some time to convince him, but after Ember's talent at persuasion we were already heading out the door once he accepted it.  She wasn't happy at the fact that she couldn't say goodbye to her family, and I suggested that we should but she didn't want to meet their sad eyes, so we told father to tell them. 

"I say if we're going on a long journey we should take some weapons," Peter shrugged his shoulders, giving Ember and I a great idea while we walked down the village path. 

"You know that isn't a bad idea.  Where would we find some?" Ember wondered. 

"Well, considering it's now dark outside, the kingdom's quarters would be closed, and no one would be in there.  We could grab any weapon, or armory of our choice.  I know an easy way in without getting close to the castle guards." 

"Let's do it then.  You can lead the way." Peter then walked in front of us, and started to lead us towards the quarters to obtain a few weapons and other resources. 

It didn't take that long to go to our wanted destination considering the bakery was close to the castle. The three of us were already taking Peter's secret route -- a short underground tunnel, and we were now in the middle of the area where the solder's practiced. 

On the stone wall on the right side of the place had almost an infinite amount of weapons, and armory.  I mentally cheered because my favorite weapon, a bow, was there.  Though I'm quite rusty, I know that once I start using it again I'll be as good as I used to be. 

We all quickly walked towards the wall, not wanting to waste time just in case someone were to catch us. 

Ember groaned, "Handling weapons is not something I'm good at." 

"Well, what are you good at?" Peter asked, putting a sword in his scabbard. 

She thought for a moment, and I laughed at her silence, "Well..." Ember started, but I cut her off. 

"Ember's skills go from sleeping for endless hours, to climbing the tallest tree.  She might not be great with weapons, but she's quick, and great at hiding.  I also hear that she knows a little bit of magic, but not enough to help the both of us with our problem." 

"If that's so, then she can at least carry a wittle dagger," Peter pouted, speaking in a tone as if he was talking to a baby, making me laugh.  Ember smirked, and took the small blade from his hands. 

"Yeah, a wittle dagger that I won't hesitate to stab you with if you talk to me like that again," She winked, gliding her fingers across the flat side of the dagger.  I shook my head, a small smile planted on my lips.  As Ember and Peter bickered back and forth, I continued to pack lightly, grabbing everything needed for our journey. 

"Let's try not to kill each other on our first day," I suggested. 

"Fine, I'll do it on the second day then," Ember smirked, causing me to roll my eyes, "I'm kidding. You need this soldier alive." 

"We, need this soldier alive." I corrected her.   

"Nope, you need this soldier alive, and you know why.  I need him because he's fun to mess with." Ember carefully whispered.  I furrowed my eyebrows, and watched her put the cover over her dagger, and hide it in her left boot.  I then looked at Peter who was now occupied, busy searching for useful items that we might need, thankfully not hearing a word we're saying.