Chapter III

Aiden stood, staring at the girl before him. His jaw had gone slack a few seconds ago. She was just... standing there, with her hand outstretched. The only reason Aiden knew that nothing had frozen in place was the fact that his heart was still slamming against him ribcage as though it were a caged lion, desperate to escape. His skin tingled like his limbs were falling asleep (they weren't.)

The girl stood as motionless as Aiden, hardly blinking as her lips quirked into a smile . She arched one brow. Her eyes (a pale, blue-green shade) were almost cat-like, a sort of mischievous light gleaming behind sweeping eyelashes. Her skin was fair, pale in the sort of way that suggested she didn't often go outside. Aiden was somewhat startled to see that she had freckles everywhere he could see - face, neck, her hand extended in greeting - oh shit her hand extended in greeting.

He reached out and grasped her hand (bony, angular like her face, fingers thin and several-times broken,) and shook it with exaggerated, awkward movements.

She snorted and pulled her hand away.
"I was beginning to think you didn't know how to shake hands. Nice to meet 'ya, my name's Dulcie. You're Aiden, yeah?"

Aiden nodded, and the conversation would've ended right then and there with an uncomfortable silence, had Aiden not spat out a sentence all in one breath.
"Why did you stay behind? Everybody else left."
"Rico asked my brother and I to introduce you to The Ravens. He figured it'd be a good idea for two people who were once in... a similar situation, and clearly remember the feeling of being new and were close in age to introduce you. I'm not sure if that sentence made much sense." She laughed, and shrugged with her palms facing Aiden and her lips pressed into a thin line. "You'll notice I do that a lot," she said, blowing her cheeks out and shaking her head. "Hopefully you'll be able to get the gist of it?"

Aiden smiled. He decided that he rather liked Dulcie. He got the feeling she'd make things interesting.

"You're making perfect sense to me - anyway, you have a brother?"

"Oh, yeah! His name is Pollux, we're twins. He likes birds a lot and cares more about his hair than himself. I think you'll like him! Am I talking a lot?"
"You're fine," Aiden said. "I mean - you're saying a lot, but you're not saying... too much?" He snorted. "Which of us is it again - the one who doesn't make sense?"

Dulcie smiled and closed her eyes, shoulders bouncing in an almost soundless laugh aside from a quiet snort. "Pollux will probably be a while," she said, shaking her head and clicking her tongue. "For somebody who gets so freaked out about being late, you'd think he'd be more punctual, yeah?"
Aiden shrugged. "I - uh - I don't know him, but I'll take your word for it?"

Dulcie sighed and glanced towards the door. "So, if you've got any other questions...?"

He did.
"So... how often do new people arrive? From what I can see, this place doesn't look like it could come close to holding a full fighting force, or even half of one."

Dulcie cringed, nose wrinkling like she'd smelled something repulsive.

"Agh. Don't remind me. We don't get new members a lot. We got more back in the beginning, with new members bringing in relatives and friends, but eventually, every relative and friend was brought in, and it's not like we can just waltz up to anybody on the street and suggest they join us. We have enough room, though. We have dorms, not individual rooms."

Aiden nodded. He supposed that made sense.

"What if you run out of room?"
"Not likely. We have a lot of room left. If we ever run out, we'll make new rooms. As for hollowing them out into the shape and size we want... I honestly don't know, sorry. I think there's something magical or whatever involved. A wizard did it, I don't know. Pollux should be here soon. Mind stopping the questions until he gets here? He'll be disappointed if he misses out on the chance to ramble," she said, smiling. Her ribbing of her brother had no malice behind it, that much was obvious.