Chapter Two

Chapter Two

As seven o'clock approached, Felicity wondered what she should do, wait up here for Bruce, or go down and wait in the lobby? He probably wouldn't want the inconvenience of coming inside for her. She grabbed her clutch and shawl, then headed out but before she could open her apartment door, someone knocked, which made her jump slightly. She took a calming breath, then opened it.

"You're early," she said without thinking.

"I hope I haven't inconvenienced you?"

"No, not at all. I was going to wait for you in the lobby."

"That doesn't sound very romantic." He smiled and took the shawl from her, opening it and holding it up for her.

She turned her back and he placed it around her, his hands coming to rest on her shoulders.

"You look lovely," he told her, his breath fanning her ear, letting her know exactly how close he was.

"Thank you." If her voice quavered a little, it was his fault, she reasoned. The man had to know the effect he had on women.

He stepped back and she turned to face him. His gaze wandered up her figure and from the expression he wore, he didn't find anything wanting. He held his elbow out.

"Shall we go?"

Felicity nodded, clutching his elbow and pulling the door closed behind her.

She was wearing a red dress with a beaded, strapless bodice (which tugged her waist in and pushed her breasts out) with a long, full skirt. She had swept her curls up onto the crown of her head, leaving a few loose to frame her face, and swapped her glasses for contacts. She may not be worth a million dollars, but she certainly thought that she looked like a million dollars.

"Relax," Bruce said as they entered the lift.

"Sorry." She smiled up at him.

"It's just a ball."

"I know, that isn't what has me nervous."

"You're worried about Oliver?"

"More like his Mom, actually, she doesn't like me."

Bruce tilted his head to the side as he considered that. "Why ever not?"

"Because I told Oliver something she didn't want me to... and I might have told her to her face, that I didn't trust her"

"Do the Queens have a lot of secrets?"

She realised that she was on the verge of giving too much away.

"Queens, as in plural, I don't think so but Mrs Queen... I get the feeling that the secrets she knows would put the NSA to shame."

Bruce laughed. "Yes, her trial made headlines around the globe, so I can't say I'm surprised that you feel that way. I wouldn't trust her either."

The elevator doors opened and they made quite a striking couple as they walked across the lobby.

"Why are you going to a gala for her if you don't trust her?" Felicity asked.

"My opinion of her doesn't matter one way or the other, I can't vote for Starling City's Mayor, but I do know Mr Reynolds, who is hosting the Gala, and my company can't afford to upset such a large and respected financial institution as his."

Felicity didn't question it, businessmen seemed to spend a lot of time with people they didn't particularly care for, just because they couldn't risk offending them.