Chapter 15

The small islands of humanity attempted what little comfort was possible in the dank subterranean bunker, lit only by a feeble light filtering down from an assumed, yet invisible, natural skylight high up in the vaulted rocky outcrop that served as a ceiling. The cavern was vast and the small family groups attempting to settle down for what was likely to be a fretful night hardly covered more than a quarter of the total floor space of this great sanctum. It was clearly designated to hold far greater numbers.
In an attempt at some form of haphazard comfort, various articles of clothing were substituted in the place of pillows. Blankets were unnecessary, at least whilst the heat of the early evening percolated through this cathedral-like space, warming the air. The captives attempted sleep, partly to allay their shattering fatigue, but more urgently as a balm to the horrific visions of their imagined fate. What little light there was grew ever dimmer. Being evening, it was clear to all that very soon it would be pitch black and the scramble was on to find some slightly more hospitable corner or niche in which to pass the gloomy, fear-racked night.
Pip, Hamish and his family had been late arrivals and were the last to be unceremoniously corralled into this vast 'pen' at gunpoint. Pip and Emily found themselves a secluded corner, slightly away from the other occupants, and out of sight of the rest of the family. Huddled up close with their faces inches apart, Pip gently stroked Emily's hair in way of comfort as the gloomy twilight folded into the pitch, bible-blackness of night.
"Is this it Pip, are we going to die here?" Emily whispered as Pip's gentle touch stroked her hair then tentatively caressed the softness of her face, tracing the vanishing outline of her cheeks, mouth and eyes.
"The message was sent," Pip replied encouragingly. "Gus is bound to be here soon – or somebody else – if – if by any chance something has happened to him."
Pip's uncertainty was not lost on Emily as she realized this was the first time any doubt had entered his mind – and the first time despair had entered hers.
"Pip, I don't want to die like this."
"No Em we won't. I mean we can't."
"Pip, you don't understand. There are so many things I have always dreamed of doing. So many things still to do. Is that all they are now – dreams? Will I never get to know my exam results – go to Uni – become a doctor – give birth," then with a reticence born of embarrassment, "or be with anyone – you know –  properly?"
Pip, feeling a warm dampness on his fingers, knew that she had been crying. Then he understood.
"Hold me Pip. Please Pip. Hold me tight."
"God, I love you Em," he whispered, as their mouths came together, their lips and tongues hungrily exploring; impatiently delving hidden secrets within. Emily rolled herself onto Pip's warm, comforting body in the now pitch darkness.
"Hold me tight," she whispered as she by turn stroked his hair and caressed his face; kissing him deeply and sharing in a wave of passion as her body sensed the rising bulge beneath his jeans.
"Is this really what you want Em?" Pip asked.
"Yes! I've thought of nothing else – you know – being with you – from the very first time we met," she whispered.
Pip's breathing came in short, fast gasps as her fingers passed the barrier of his Y-fronts. His body and soul yearned for her.
"Me too Em," Pip gasped breathing heavily between soft moans. "But here – now?
"Yes, yes. I want this Pip," she whispered breathlessly, drawing her light cotton print dress over her head. "This feels so right."
"Em! I love you. I don't want to spoil anything between us afterwards – you know – when we get out – are you quite sure?" A question Emily silenced with a deep and penetrating kiss. Then pulling his tee-shirt over his head and yanking down his baggy jeans she lay on his chest, plying small soft kisses across the surface of his skin before locking lips once again and kissing slow, deep and long.
As Pip held her tightly, her mouth broke away from his as she held back a cry. It felt different from how she'd imagined and at first more painful than she had expected. But she loved the feeling of Pip being conjoined with her in this way and then started to enjoy the sensation. As she relaxed, the pain subsided. Pip kissed her face, eyes and lips, as he caressed the naked smoothness of her body.
Then finally she felt Pip's torso stiffen as he stifled a groan and felt a throbbing warmth deep within her. And there they lay in each others arms – soothed for a while– until they both became overwhelmed with exhaustion.

As the first traces of light filtered down from above, Emily awoke to find herself still wrapped in Pip's arms. Happy though she was – as the memory of the previous night flooded back into her consciousness – the terror of their current situation quickly overwhelmed and destroyed her happiness. She rapidly pulled on the clothes that were so eagerly discarded the night before. Pip was still sleeping soundly. Only a few of the other 'guests' were rousing themselves to the sound of wailing children, crying for food and home.
What this day would bring could be anybody's guess, but it seemed to Emily that in all probability it could be their last. What happened last night between the two of them was their secret and could very well be their first, only and last night of passion.
As Emily looked down at Pip sleeping peacefully he seemed to her little more than a child. She felt happy that they had taken this opportunity to share their love and their bodies, but infinitely sad that she would probably never know the future they might have had, and yet she felt in her heart that there would be a future for them together, if only...
She fought back the tears as music blared out in order to rouse the sleepers to whatever fate awaited them. Pip awoke bleary eyed, with a frightened look. Emily knew she would have to take care of him and offer what scant comfort she could, for she knew that she was stronger than he, but loved him the more for his childlike simplicity.
Her latent maternal instincts clicked in. She knew that she was going to have to look after Pip as well as her family as the pressures of their situation overwhelmed minds that were simply not equipped to deal with the extreme. What had happened last night between her and Pip had cauterized her despair as she realized that if there were any way out of this terrible situation, then she was the one that was going to have to find it.