Chapter 7

"We have a problem," the elderly receptionist announced to the manageress, who was sitting in the back vestibule painting her fingernails. She was applying a blood red lacquer to extensions tapering down into long slender talons.
She raised her head briefly to take in the figure of the old man, stooping slightly. She was repulsed by the spartan strands of brittle, white, hair scraped across his ungainly, shining pate. "We don't have problems Ali, just challenges," the Manageress barked back cutting him an icy stare before attending once more to the task in hand and then wondering why he had left the desk unattended. It was so unlike him to do so at this time of the morning when it was so busy with guests enquiring about this and wanting that. Then she began to wonder if it might be something important after all and glanced back up at him enquiringly.  
"Believe me. You're not going to like this. It's a biggie!" He stated with a degree of certainty.
She continued with the process of applying the red acrid smelling lacquer to her nails, whilst attempting to show unconcern. "Well spit it out. What's the problem?"
"They targeted an escapee last night!"
"Well, have they picked up the pieces yet?"
"No, that's just it you see. Just had security on the phone. One big hole in the ground, a left shoe, some false teeth and a smashed mobile phone. They've searched a wide area and found nothing more."
"Shit! Does the boss know?" The Manager replied.
"Not their job to tell him apparently. They only have to report back to us. Or to be more exact – to you."
"Why should I..." she began, looking concerned. "Have they got an ID from the phone?"
"Not yet. It's gone to the IT boys to see what they can get from it."
"What about the dogs, have they picked anything up?
"There's a bit of a problem with the dogs. All up West. Had a bit of an issue in one of our other locations last night, but they're on their way."
"Look, I don't see why I should have to give the old man news like this. If they can't stop one escapee with the kit they have at their disposal, then what fucking use are they?"
"Well, don't look at me. As you're always so keen to point out. I'm just the lackey around here."
Next minute they both jumped as her phone bleeped – a distinctive ring tone that indicated that only one person could be on the other end of it. After a brief stand off as they both stood looking at each other, the manager began to rummage through her oversized handbag, eventually producing her mobile phone.
"...Yes I see... But how did you... But we've only just been told by security ourselves... Yes, of course, we were actually just about to call you... Yes, Yes, I see, naturally, but is that absolutely necessary... No, I wouldn't dream of questioning you, but it just seems a little extreme... We could I suppose... Yes we could have it completed by this evening but it won't be easy... No, please don't worry, we will get it all buttoned down this end and yes I'm fully up to speed with the emergency measures... No it really won't be necessary to have them here, we really don't need any help...Yes, I see. Well if you insist then I suppose we do need to be certain. 18:00 tonight? That doesn't give us much time for preparation, but I suppose it can be done... No, there will be no cock-ups this end I can promise you that."
She threw the phone back into her handbag looking ashen. "Security fuck-up and we get the blame."
"I gather somebody got to him first," Ali mused.
"Somebody meaning security covering their oversized backsides. Somehow he seems to know everything that goes on here almost before we do. Look Ali, we have to instigate the emergency procedure and it's not going to be easy; we haven't got a lot of time."
"Emergency measures? I actually have no idea what you're talking about. Way above my pay-grade I would say."
"I wish you wouldn't keep saying that. Look, I can't tell you the full details, but you just have to do exactly as I tell you – when I tell you. Do you understand?"
"No change there then, only now you're actually scaring me. What's this all about?"
"When you took this job you signed an agreement and part of that agreement was that you would not ask or enquire about anything that goes on here. You just do the job as instructed, no questions, for which you get very well paid. Right?"
"I have no complaints on that score, although the hours are rather long."
"It's reached the point where you will now have to earn those lavish benefits we bestow upon you. But the less you know about the details the better – for your own sake. But we have to rely on your complete loyalty and discretion."
"Look, I'm not daft. I get that there's something mighty odd going on around here and quite frankly I don't want to know what it is even if I could take a flying guess and land bang on target. I have a family to feed. You pay four times the going rate and work hasn't exactly been freely flowing around here since the recession. So, whatever it is, let's get it done. But what happens to my job when you finish up here?"
"You don't need to worry on that score Ali. You'll be very well taken care of. That I can promise you."