Rest

A few minutes and tests later, I was back in the hospital...in a different room. My ribs and lungs were fine, but I was to stay in the hospital for a week. I was bummed. I called Horatio:

C: Hey Horatio.

H: Hey Caroline. How are you?

C: Bummed, but okay.

H: I'm glad to hear that you're okay.

C: Thanks. So, is Jake in jail?

H: Yes, he is. And he's in solitary confinement.

C: That's great! *sigh* hey H?

H: Yes?

C: Could I arrange Sarah's funeral?

H: We'll arrange it for you, but you're more than welcome to make and read the eulogy.

*I hold back tears*

C: Thank you. I will write it and I will see y'all next week.

H: Sounds great. You get some rest, ok? 

C: I will. Thank you.

H: My pleasure.

*hangs up*

I start thinking of what to write for my friend's eulogy. Then I write:
"The moment I met Sarah was during lunch break at MDCC. She was an aspiring musician while I was in nursing school. She was like a sister to me. We had so much in common...we were both Baptists, we both loved coffee and music, we both loved going to the beach....we loved having good clean fun. We lost touch while I was in training and I regret it. She was my best friend. I didn't hear from or of her until that morning...and until I found out who she was. I will always miss her and I know I will see her again one day, but for now, I will continue her legacy by being compassionate. Sarah, I love and miss you, sis. Save a place for me."

After I wrote that, I set the notepad and pencil on the bedside table and cried. Then, I fell asleep. I woke up to find Horatio sitting beside me. "Hey H." I said, wiping leftover tears with the back of my hand. "Hey C," he said, smiling, "how are you?" I replied, "Grieving," as I pointed to the eulogy, "I wrote it....thought I'd get it over with" Horatio reached for and grabbed it. I sat up a little. "Tell me what you think." I said, smiling. "Will do." He replied as he read. As I was watching him silently read it, I could see tears forming in his eyes. "It's beautiful" he said as he wiped tears from his eyes with his thumb. "Have you ever lost anyone close?" I asked. He nodded and said, "I have." We both took a breath and talked. Then, Eric and Calleigh came in to fill in while Horatio went back to work. "You doing ok?" Eric asked. "Yes, though I have to stay here for a week....and hospital food sucks." I said, the three of us laughing. They understood. We talked and "enjoyed" hospital food until midnight. Eric and Calleigh slept in the vacant bed beside me. The next morning, I woke up to find Eric and Calleigh standing beside me with a tray of fruit, ham and cheese breakfast sandwich, and coffee..they placed it gently on the hospital bedside table while I pressed the hospital bed button to sit up to eat. "Thank y'all both so much!" I said. They replied, "You're welcome!"  I blessed my food and we talked while I ate and drank. After breakfast, Calleigh helped me to the bathroom to brush my teeth and to brush my hair. Then, I settled back into bed and we talked more.