The project

'Come in,' Gram said and I entered. Everyone else had given their written apology but Gram had asked me to come in separately, so here I was. 'I have my written apology with me, your Highness,' I said. She told me to keep it on the desk. Her desk was empty as always except today there was a sealed file other that my written apology.

'Pick that up, it's for you,' Gram said. I picked up the file and opened the seal. A few sheets of papers fell out. I didn't have to look at it twice to know what it was. It said that Gram was pleased with my apprenticeship. Now, my training would be complete once I completed my final project. The project after which, I would be a full-trained pixie.

'Your highness,' I said not sure if this was really happening. 'You have been a good apprentice. I know that everyone in the council thinks that Zamora is one of my favourites but it is only I who know her for her real self. Thins is not the first time that she has put all of our kind in danger in front if the humans. Zeliha, there is a reason why I am tolerating her and that I cannot tell you now, but you have been a good apprentice. I don't need Zamora's acknowledgement. Now you have to just wait for your project, whenever it comes up,' Gram said and I couldn't quite believe what I was hearing.

'Thank you, Gram,' I said without thinking and she looked back at me sternly. 'I mean your highness.,' I corrected myself and she smiled. I mean her lips curved upwards.surely Gram couldn't smile, right? I thought I was dreaming so I lightly pinched myself to see if I would wake up. Well, I didn't.

'What did Gram say?' Owain asked as I came out of the biggest tent in Gram's Training Institute. 'I... I... ,' I didn't know what to say and handed over the sheet to Owain. He scanned through the whole paper, his expression not changing even for a minute. 'Thats great,' he said finally without even smiling. 'Thats all! That's all the reaction I get?' I asked and he shrugged. I couldn't really blame him. All his years of training had made him stiff and emotionless. Not knowing what to do; he hugged me. Okay, that was different. We never hugged, and its not just us; no pixie or soldier was used to any act of affection. Not that we weren't allowed to but we just didn't know the reason why people did that.

Two hours later, I was having a meal with ten entire council like I did every night. Today it was a leafy soup and nuts, along with some bread and mint. Mint was a speciality which was only given on Sundays or when there was something special to celebrate. 'Whats the big occasion ,' I asked Zamora as I was still in her batch till the time I got a project. She didn't reply; I guess she was still pissed about the fact that Gram didn't consult her before promoting me. I shrugged and continued eating. I mean I wasn't under her anymore so how could I care whether she was upset with me or not. That was her choice.

I looked over to the soldier table to see Owain sitting and munching on his leaves. I touched above my forehead thinking about how I would look without horns. The horns were the only thing that classified me as a PIT and not a pixie. Of course I would get a badge with name on it instead of this numbered badge that just said 315 like I was a prisoner. I felt worthless wearing that badge like I didn't matter more than being just a number; like I didn't even have a name. I used to hate it when some of the senior pixies would just call me by my number. Now was my time. I suddenly somehow felt like this whole celebration was for me.

Boy, was I wrong. Around the time when we we served our drinks of herbal tea, we all looked at Gram to give the signal but she didn't. We went allowed to even have a sip of our drinks unless Gram had allowed us and gave an opening speech for the night. 'Before I can allow all of you to consume the drinks, I want all of you wonderful people to introduce a special guest tonight, Pixie Council Head and the woman who I was once an apprentice of; Ms. Sheniqua,' Gram as a tall woman with more authority than I had ever seen with anyone come through the green passage.

She wore a head adornment with green flowers that I had never seen in any garden.She had a flowing light green dress that moved gracefully as she walked. She had dark green belts around her waist that showed that she was quite a senior. As she walked up the stairs and took her seat, all the members of the council rose a little in their seat giving her respect.

I had never seen Gram show respect and look up to anyone and it was quite an experience. Ms Sheniqua raised her glass to raise a toast and took the most graceful sip of herbal tea that I had ever seen. I looked at Zamora, she was hardly affected. I didn't know how she could be so unaffected by anything in the world.

'This meal is not just to introduce me; but for the first time in the history of pixie training institute handled by Gram, we have a daring project for any pixie who would want to take it up. This project concerns mortals so we cannot expect just anyone to do it. 'Gram, you have any suggestions,' she asked Gram and Gram looked up at me. That was when it all made sense. Gram never did anything without a reason and Theresa's clearly a reason why she had chosen to promote me just today.

I didn't know whether I should be happy or sad. I mean it was a good thing that Gram thought I had the potential to carry out a project involving mortals but then, could I do it? I looked down to my drink not knowing what to do next. I looked up to see Ms. Sheniqua looking in my direction as well. That was one moment where I just wanted to disappear.

I looked towards Owain and he mouthed, 'rise.'

I stood up clumsily feeling lower than ever. Zamora had her mouth wide open. I looked at Gram who looked pleased that I had willingly risen. 'Sheniqua, I am sure that Pixie Zeliha would have the potential to deal with your project. She knows her way around them mortals.' Gram said and Zamora snickered. Was Gram mocking me?

But then when I saw everyone looking up at me proudly I knew I was okay. Owain was smiling. Okay he was not the one who would be happy for me, so clearly there was something great in it for him as well. I couldn't think what it could be.