Meeting mortals

I woke up from bed, my uncomfortable wings being a hurdle between me and a good day's sleep. Like many other days, I had obviously forgotten to transform. Gram would be so mad if she found out. Now there a a couple of things I could never understand about Gram. She was always so cautious. I mean I get her worries and I get the fact that she did not want any of the mortals coming to know anything about us but then again given how foolish the mortals were, they would never figure out a thing anyway.

I mean I can tell you this, because it has really happened. On one of the days that I forgot to transform, a mortal actually came into my tent. He came inside to check why a tent was left abandoned, and saw me, wings and all, but just rubbed his eyes a few times and thought he was dreaming. I mean seriously.

So anyways I transformed myself looking completely like a mortal and lay down in bed finally trying to get some peace of mind. I took my hand in front of my face and watched my palm become glass. I moved my hand around to above my forehead; I looked good without horns. I mean I never really liked having horns and Gram had said that once my training was complete I could finally get rid of them forever: if I succeeded of course.

I didn't want to think of what would happen if I was to not succeed. That was one thought that none of us was not allowed to bring to our minds. I had to bring some focus in myself. I moved down to my shoulders which felt empty without the wings. Gram had told how mortals had to live their whole lives with this empty feeling. It would hate to miss a part of my body. Thinking of that, slowly and finally four hours past my bed-time, I slept.

'Time up, Zelo, wake up already; Grams going to get mad if you're late to eat.' My tent-head Zamora yelled. I never really got her. I mean any normal pixie would think twice before waking someone up, but Zamora; no way.

'Yeah, Zemo, I am getting up, just two minutes.' I said sitting on my bed. I hated her guts but obviously I couldn't make that known because every good pixie-in-training had to abide by the rules. Gram's silly rules that never made any sense. I sat up in my bed, obviously still half asleep and finally transformed back to my now normal self. The self that I liked to be in.

Just when I was about to leave the tent, I heard a some laughing noises. Now they weren't the normal laughing noises. They were mortal laughing noises. Especially mortals after they had consumed that liquid that they usually did around this time. Zamora opened the door a bit and all our doubts were confirmed. They were four liquified mortals that were acting stupid way past their bed time. This was my cue.

I instantly transformed into my mortal form feeling empty but I knew that this was right. Zemo had not transformed yet. 'Zemo, what do you think you are doing?' I asked. She just smiled. 'Just wait and watch,' she said. She opened the tent door a little more and stepped out making herself visible in her true form to the mortals.

'Hey guys, want to come in the tent?' She asked smiling, I looked through the opening of the door, I couldn't wait to see what was going to happen. I felt bad that I couldn't do anything to help the situation. 'Zamora was my senior and a full trained pixie, when in her supervision I could not disagree with what she felt was right. Zamora would get both of us in trouble today.

'Is she for real bro?' One of them asked the other. Two of the younger guys ran at the sight of Zamora. The other guy just smirked like I don't know what was wrong with him. 'Dude I think she is hiding something in that tent, trying to scare us with those props.' He said. Hiding? No. I was in the tent. I would be equally in trouble if those boys came inside. And knowing how convincing Zamora could be, she would easily blame the whole episode on me.

'Mort Alert tent 315 PIT Zeliha!' I whispered taking the talkie close to me. That was the right thing to do. I had alerted the soldiers with my name so that at least i would be out of trouble. I knew that Zamora would find a way to turn it around and blame me but this was the only thing I could do. I looked outside once more and that was a mistake. One of the mortals saw me.

'Hey there's another one in there. She looks normal though,' he said. I touched the tip of my fingers and prayed. I prayed that everything would be okay and that the soldiers would come before anything else could go wrong.

The two guys came closer to our tent and now Zamora was beginning to get a little scared as well. She came inside closing the tent door and casting the spell. Now the guys definitely could not come inside. But we had attracted attention. I still had my fingers together and I was still praying. Praying that they would go away.

I heard a knock and the tip of my frock withered just like it did every time I was scared. 'Yes young men. is there any reason why you are knocking the door to the students of Gram Traning at this time in the night?' I heard a familiar voice. It was Owain, one of the SIT's (Soldier in training) who was also a good friend of mine. I thanked my lucky stars that he came.

About one and a half hour after this whole scene we were in the main hall facing Gram and the whole council. 'I got the alert from PIT Zeliha, your highness; she is the one who told me about the situation.' Owain said to my rescue and obviously Zamora jumped right to defend herself, 'Says who; the SIT Owain. Oh please your highness, everyone knows that Owain and my apprentice are good friends and don't you think it was quite convenient that he was the only one present. He isn't even a soldier himself.'

Gram looked at Owain and then me. Obviously who was I kidding, she would never think anything against Zamora. 'Where were the soldiers when they were supposed to be at their designated place,' Gram asked not once changing her tone but as usual showing her authority. 'They were on parole your highness; they had left me in charge.' Owain said not once flinching. He knew what he was saying. The soldiers nodded in confirmation.

'In that case then, the soldiers and both Zamora and her PIT, would have to give a written apology for their behaviour. We cannot have the humans find out about us. The soldiers are at fault for not being at their spot and Pixie Zamora it is also your fault for not being able to control the situation, if at all you are not at fault,' she said addressing the whole council in case anyone had a second opinion.

Owain, Zamora, the soldiers I, bowed our heads to Gram finally exiting the main hall. That was some start to what was going to be a very long day.