Chapter 2: Jay Curtis

Kinda a filler chapter, but on the side is Allie :)

Last chapter was dedicated to the lovely lady who made my cover- PurpleIris985372! Um, this chapter is dedicated to one of my most active fans :) Thanks so much for all your support!

I also plan this story to be a Utopian/Dystopian story with a twist of werewolf! So tonnes of interesting stuff to come :)

...

Sebastion woke to a sharp feeling under his spine. Bright yellow shone through his closed eyelids, and he could feel heat coming down on his face. Stirring, he managed to untwist his pounding, numb leg. Wait, numb leg?

Quickly, Sebastion opened his eyes, being welcomed by the bright yellow sun high in the blue sky. He sat up, his eyes going immediately to left leg, which was caked in dried blood and white puss. His pant leg was ripped off from his knee down, and two teeth marks made long lines down his shin. Like they dug into his skin and ripped downward.

Suddenly becoming aware of his surroundings, Sebastion saw they were on the rooftop of the bakery and the apartment complex above it, with the other apartment tops to his left, and the forest tops to his right. It was silent outside; no growling, no fighting. The showers must’ve ended during the night.

Next to him, he felt someone hug his arm. Looking down, Sebastion looked at his sister curled up on her side towards him, hugging him in her sleep. She looked so peaceful, with her long brown hair falling over her fair, dirt-covered face. Sebastion probably looked just as ratty after spending the night on an old roof.

Shaking Allie awake, he looked around them on the streets. Half-naked people laid everywhere. Once the sun came up, they were exhausted, and usually passed out mid-change, so they’d be sleeping by the time they were in their human form. It was probably still early in the morning, so they should have time to get home and washed up before their mother came back.

“Sebastion?” Allie asked, her voice cracked with sleep and confusion.

“Come on, Allie. We’re going home.” Sebastion said, slowly leading her to the edge of the building. She just nodded quietly, starting to descend down the window sills to the awning. Their walk home was quiet, and Sebastion knew Allie still felt guilty. As they walked up the curved hill that led to their street, Sebastion limping with Allie holding his hand, they found people starting to stir.

Lying just outside their door, staring at it as if it was the most annoying thing in the world, was a very toned, very muscular young man who couldn’t be older than nineteen. He was obviously a Showers survivor, as he has scars still visible on his body, and he must’ve changed last night, as he only had a pair of baggy pants on. He had big green eyes, and short cropped dirty blonde hair with small stubble on his cheeks.

“Go home.” Sebastion spat at the guy, causing his attention to break. Riley Elizabeth was the only one home, and this guy was creeping Sebastion out. If he did anything to her…

The guy glared at first, and Sebastion rolled his eyes, his grip on Allie’s hand tightening. Turning his back, he knocked on the door, hoping Riley was awake. Finally, the guy let up, standing and nodding, “Sorry.”

“Wait!” Sebastion said, as the guy started to walk away. “What’s your name?”

Riley Elizabeth shuffled on the other side of the door, and opened it to the thick silence. She stepped out just a little bit, to see what was going on, and stopped when her eyes met the green ones again. This man was no more than three years older than her, but still seemed to make her nervous as his power washed over her. Sebastion obviously didn’t feel it, but Riley looked away, not wanting to meet those alluring green eyes again.

But she knew he was staring at her as he said, “Jay Curtis.”

“I don’t want to see you around here again, Jay Curtis.” Sebastion said strictly, pushing Allie into the house. He let the authority that his father gave him into his voice. Their father. The man who had disappeared right after Allie was born. He used to be King of Luna, making Sebastion a Prince. They used to all live in peace, but after he disappeared, the Elders took over, practically shunning the Caverly family and creating the Midnight Showers. But, what didn’t go was the power he could put upon other werewolves. Only, without being king, he couldn’t actually command anyone.

But Sebastion didn’t like this Jay Curtis hanging around his house, and as the man of the family, he felt it was up to him to send this creeper away. Riley Elizabeth grabbed Allie’s hand and put her behind the door, watching, stepping out fully. Keeping one had on the door, she forced herself to meet his eyes, to glare just like her brother.

The boy just shook his head, smiling, as if it was funny, and walked down the street. Sebastion let out a huff, and shoved passed Riley into the house. But, before she shut the door, the boy turned around, flashing a smile before turning the corner and heading out of sight.

Slamming the door shut with more force than necessary, Riley turned, seeing Sebastion limping into the kitchen and filling a bucket with water. That’s when she noticed his tattered leg. Dried blood crusted all down his shin, with two ghastly gashes running to his ankle. It was pretty gruesome.

“What the hell happened?” Riley asked Allie, walking over to where she sat at the table, not wanting to get anywhere near the blood. Blood made her woozy, not that she’d tell anyone. After all, she was the girl who went into the forest to see those dead teenagers.

“He got bit by one of the wolves.” Allie said, as if it was the simplest thing in the world.

“And whose fault was that?” Riley asked, hoping to get a charge out of her younger sister. Allie glared at Riley.

Riley thought Allie was going to cry, but instead she screamed at the stop of her lungs “Shut up, Riley!”

“Enough.” Sebastion sighed, throwing the cloth he used to clean his leg into the bucket of red water. Allie breathed out loudly, and made a small squeaking sound as she pulled her legs up to her chest, probably trying to look cute. She was twelve, for God’s sake! Riley rolled her eyes, crossing her arms. She couldn’t wait to get out of the house and to the After Ceremony, where they declared the winner of the Showers. But not to see the person who had managed to survive the night, but to see her friends and sneak away.

“Now, mom doesn’t hear about this okay?” Sebastion told them, and Allie nodded. Riley was about to open her mouth to disagree, when Sebastion said, “Or about that Jay Curtis.”

Riley didn’t disagree. “I don’t even know who he is!” She added nonchalantly.

“I don’t care.” Sebastion said with a tone of finality in his words. He dumped the gross water out into the sink and turn to leave out the back door, next to the counter. “I’m going down to get some water for tonight. I need to walk on it,” He said, referring to his leg. “Do your homework, and, Riley, watch Allie.”

Stubbornly, Riley pulled a chair from the table and sat across from Allie. Lying dramatically with her chin on her palm, she pulled her Luna History book towards her, almost breaking the old cover. “Happy?”

“Ecstatic.” Sebastion replied back, just as sarcastically. Shoving the door open, Riley watched her older brother leave. The moment his foot was over the threshold, she shoved the book off the table, causing Allie to jump in shock. Without taking a breath, Riley slid her chair away from the table and went towards the door.

“Hey!” Allie said, seeming to finally take interest in what she was doing. “You are on Allie duty!”

“Sorry, Al,” Riley smirked, pulling open the front door. If she took the main roads, she wouldn’t bang into her brother on his way to the water hole. He always stayed out of the way and took shortcuts. See, Luna didn’t have running water, so they had to get water from one of the pumps the town had every few days to use. The water went through the pipes and into the ground once it was used. And none of the pumps were right in town. “But there are no little girls allowed in the forest.” She teased, turning to head out the door.