Chapter 1: The Midnight Showers

COPYRIGHT MYSANCTUARY DECEMBER 2011

Chapter 1: The Midnight Showers

Sebastion is played by Josh Hutcherson :)

...

“I now give you this Midnight Shower’s contestants!” Through the streets of Luna, only small streetlamps produced any light. The stone roads and the brick buildings were placed randomly through the clearing between the West and East woods, and the cheers and yells echoed off every inch of the city. From the edge of the East Woods, where a platform stood with four people on it, and most of the city’s residents around it, to the West Woods, far beyond the small apartment that held the Caverly family.

Sebastion Caverly walked into the dark bedroom that was shared by him and his two younger sisters. The walls were made of dark wood panels that were filled with scratches and holes, while the flooring was made of squeaky and rotting light wood. There were three beds, two on the right wall that had pink comforters with white flowers, the posts made of old metals, and the one to the left wall was his, with a simple and dirty white and blue striped comforter. Besides that, there was a window on the far side, which sat a 16 year old girl with long, flowing brown hair down her back, and her big, brown eyes set out the window and down the street, where the source of the noise was coming from.

“Rylee Elizabeth, you know mom doesn’t like you watching the Showers.” Sebastion told his sister, who didn’t even look at him as she swung her legs against the outside of the house. The scrawny girl listened carefully as the rip of flesh and clothes echoed through the air, causing the roar of the townsfolk to start up again.

“That’s too bad Simon Black just turned eighteen.” Rylee Elizabeth said, looking towards the stage at the three figures now replaced with wolves. Shape-shifting werewolves. “He was pretty cute.”

Sebastion rolled his eyes, opening the squeaky bedroom door. If Rylee Elizabeth saw anything relatively violent, he would be stuck with water duty for life. The Midnight Showers happened every month, during the Wolf Moon. While everyone else changed at midnight, the teenagers of Luna who turned eighteen during the last month were sent into the East Woods to fight to the death, letting the strongest werewolf live. It was the elder’s way of keeping the young strong, disciplined, and respectful of their rules.

But it wasn’t every child who had to go through the Midnight Showers; as they called this event. It was only the eldest child of every family. They trained at Blackwater Training Academy, every school year from September to June, since their first change. The school mastered in brutality and pain, but if it all went well, you would survive past adolescence. Sebastion, at seventeen, was the eldest child, and was almost done at Blackwater; his birthday was in exactly 10 months.

“Come on, Riley.” Sebastion said, emphasizing the words with the power of the man of the house. Walking up to the window, he grabbed Riley Elizabeth’s arm and started to pull her inside. She didn’t resist any longer, but rolled her eyes, bringing her knees up to her chest. Sebastion was about to tug his sister roughly into the room by her arm when she pulled out of his grasp quickly, almost losing her balance on the window sill.

“Riley!” Sebastion yelled, but she was fighting him off, her eyes wide and staring out the window.

“Allie!” Riley Elizabeth screamed down towards the stone roadway, looking in horror towards the growling wolves. Sebastion leaned out the window, looking where she was. The first thing his eyes laid on were the three wolves on the stage only a few dozen meters away, the crowd now growling and pushing each other off animalistic-like as the moon started to light up the streets. Sebastion knew any minute now he would have to bolt the doors and shut the windows before the adults changed- because children didn’t surrender to the moon until their 18th birthday.