Chapter Two: Gohma

The Legend of Zelda: Real Courage

Chapter Two: Gohma

Lila rubbed her side absentmindedly. They had arrived at the lake, a vast pool of water a deeper blue than the sky. She marveled at the sight; she had never seen anything so huge, except for the castle, nor so bright. Leaving the desert for Hyrule Field was one thing, with the yellow sand giving way to richly green grass. Now, though, a whole new world lay in front of her.

The lake was nestled among a set of mountains. They were brown and green, quite unlike the black peaks surrounding the castle. A few islands dotted the lake, as well as something that looked like a viewing platform grown right out of the rock. A waterfall flowed in from the east, and a tributary took water out to the south.

Lila regained her senses and descended from her steed. "Alright, girl," she said. "Looks like you get to graze for a while." She took her stuff from the saddle, gave Epona a small pat, and the horse went on her way. "Now, Mori, where do we go?"

The keese flew off to the northern side of the lake. "It's hidden in a cavern over here."

Lila hurried to keep up with him. "A cavern?" she asked. "Okay, you know best." He led her to the edge of a marsh. Across the swamp, set right into the rock wall of the mountain, was the cavern she sought. "I just need to cross this marsh, right?"

Mori bobbed up and down. "Exactly."

"Okay. Good thing I wear boots." Lila started carefully picking her way through the muck. Bugs swarmed around her, probably checking to see if she was food. A few even bit her, and she slapped them away.

"Blasted things," she muttered.

About halfway through, the mud started bubbling. Mori grew frantic, flying in all directions.

"Just meet me at the cave if you're so scared," Lila growled. "I can handle whatever this is."

Mori flew across the marsh to the hole in the rock. "You're on your own." Lila unsheathed her sword quickly.

A giant furball with eight legs and slimy pincers emerged, with three smaller ones surrounding it. It hissed angrily at her but didn't move.

"What's wrong?" Lila taunted. "Scared of my sword? Fight me! I'm getting through here, and you can't stop me."

The smaller creatures jumped at her. She turned and slashed one of them out of the air. The second landed several feet from her, but she nearly moved into the path of the third. The third turned and attacked her before she even finished her swing. It landed on her back, but she spun around like a whirlwind, throwing it off of her. Then she finished it with her blade.

The remaining small creature jumped her while her sword was still down. This time she halted it with her arm. It dropped to the ground and instantly came after her again. She twirled her sword to remove the corpse of the creature, then killed the attacking one.

"Your minions are fast," Lila said to the giant monster, "but still no match for me. Now stop hiding behind your pawns and attack me yourself!"

The creature heeded her words and sprang. Lila jumped to the side, did a somersault, and came up behind the creature, slashing her sword at its rounded back. It squealed in pain and turned around, but Lila was too quick. She hacked at its legs, crippling it.

Then a green gas squirted out of the creature's body. Lila stumbled away, holding her sleeve to her mouth.

"You cheat!" she yelled weakly. Her body coughed to expel the poison. The creature crawled toward her, and she raised her sword. It jammed itself into the tip and gave one final, agonized cry.

Lila staggered back, landing in the mud. She dropped her sword and covered her mouth with both hands. The coughing wouldn't stop. She called, "Mori! Help!"

The keese flew to her side, ignoring the corpses of the monsters. "Use the marsh grass!" he said. "Mix it with the lake water and drink it."

"Disgusting!"

"Do you want to live?"

Lila conceded. She grabbed a clump of grass and struggled to stand. Mori, feeling helpless, flew between her and the water. When she came to the lake bed, she dropped to the ground again. She pulled a bottle from her pouch and used it to collect some water. Then she placed the grass on a rock and smashed it with another, smaller rock until it turned into a green paste. She looked to Mori for confirmation.

"Yes, that'll do."

Fighting the coughs, Lila scooped the paste into the bottle and swirled it around. The sight made her even sicker. Luckily it amounted to only two or three mouthfuls. She put the bottle to her lips, hesitated, and then chugged it down.

Lila gagged but managed to keep the mixture down. Mori sat on the rock by her side, twitching with nerves.

"Now we wait," he stated.

"For how long?" she asked with a hoarse voice.

"Not long. You'll be fine."

After a moment's silence, Lila wondered, "Why is it that that creature lives among its antidote?"

"How should I know?"

"You seem to know a lot," Lila countered. She rubbed her burning throat, willing the pain to go away. After a while, the sick feeling and the coughing died down, and she was able to breathe normally again. "I think it worked," she said.

"Yes, seems it has."Mori sounded relieved.

"Don't tell me you weren't sure!"

"I was almost sure. Besides, it was the only option."

Lila stared at him. "You are not serious."

"Deadly."

It was meant as a joke, but she glared at him. "Don't you do that to me again."

"Don't get poisoned again."

"Argh!" She stood suddenly and stomped away, a bad idea because it made her dizzy. She ignored the spinning feeling and went to the cavern entrance. Mori flapped happily behind her.

"Here goes nothing."

A/N: Would you be able to fight a giant spider?