Chapter Twenty-Six: A Big Owl and a Bigger Tree

The Legend of Zelda: Real Courage

Chapter Twenty-Six: A Big Owl and a Bigger Tree

Breathing was painful when Lila next awoke. She kept her eyes shut, not wanting to know where she was. She could feel heat, and the blankets covering her didn't help. Voices could be heard, but they were subdued. She could also hear moans and shouts of pain. It felt as though something bound her to the bed. Fear washed over her.

Is this a torture chamber? She squeezed her eyes tighter. How? Who? Zale? Is he responsible, or is he trapped, too? I knew it was impossible to escape Lord Ganondorf! She started sobbing uncontrollably.

Someone noticed and rushed over to her. Lila waited for the punishment.

"Shh, shh, child. You're safe. Try to relax."

What?

"Take a deep breath. Everything will be alright."

Lila managed to choke out, "Where... Zale?"

There was a slight pause. "Not now, child. You need to find calm. Slow your breathing."

"Is... he... safe?" The words were barely more than whispers.

Another person joined them. "Here is the potion."

The first said, "I hope she can swallow it." Then to Lila, she instructed, "I'm going to help you sit up so you can take some of this potion. It will soothe your nerves."

Lila couldn't do a thing to make sitting up easier or harder. She just cringed while every movement sent pain through her entire being.

"There, that's better now," said the first voice. "Here's the potion."

A cold glass edge touched Lila's parched lips. She tried to drink, but most of it spilled to the sides. She gasped after each dry swallow. The glass wasn't removed until it was tipped empty.

"There, that should help. I'll—"

"Zale," Lila rasped. "Please... is... he... safe?"

The voice sounded surprised. "Of course he is safe."

"C-c ...see... him?"

"I-I'm sorry. I... can't let you."

"Please..."

"Rest up. It will take a while to heal."

Lila heard footsteps. That was the end of that conversation. Even though she didn't do much, at all, she felt completely exhausted. She felt as though she ran through the desert for a full day.

Anxiety raced around in her mind. Where is Zale? Why can't I see him? Why am I tied up like a prisoner, but they are healing me? Who are they? Where am I? Before long she was back in sleep's embrace.

"No! You can't stop me! Let me through!" Zale shoved his way past guards and finally laid eyes on Lila. She looked pale and her breathing was shallow. "Has she woken up yet?" he asked a nurse.

"Yes, once. But, you can't be here. It's not safe for—"

"Stop saying that!" Zale yelled, pushing a guard off him. "Lila is my friend! I trust her completely. She is the Hero of Courage!"

"Zale..."

At the sound of her voice, he rushed to her side. "I'm here, Lila. I'm here." Another guard grabbed his arm. "Let me at least tell her what's going on. I'll bet none of you have."