Chapter four : Focus

"Have you heard of the boy who said he'd kill all the Titans? He failed to the 3DMG test!"

You froze and pricked up your ear.

"Really?" exclaimed a voice.

A giggle answered. "Yeah, I heard it when I was searching for Jake."

"What a shame! Are you sure? So he was sent back?"

The voices melted together in a cacophony of laughs and you couldn't make out a single word as their owners walked away.

"Nate! Are you even listening?"

You jumped.

Lisa was looking at you, a pile of cones in her arms and an eyebrow raised in an annoyed fashion.

"Sorry, I'm a bit dizzy," you pretended, pulling a sheepish smile.

Who were they talking about? Jaëger?

Your heart skipped a bit.

No way.

Your roommate rolled her eyes and you felt a painful flick on your forehead. "I said that this test really wasn't as hard as expected. Really, I feared worse."

You bent and picked up the cones from the ground, slightly shrugging. "I think it needed some tips not everybody had."

You bit your lip as soon as the words escaped your mouth.

Was it why Jaëger could have been sent back to the frontier?

"And talent," added Lisa. "I'm full of talent."

"So is Sasha," you retorted, snapping away the thought of Eren having failed. Flicking your tongue over your lips, you thought back of Sasha.

She had been lazily hanging to the cables, you remembered, her gaze lost somewhere in the sky as she childishly swung, comparable to sitting on some branch or swing.

At the moment, you had felt really envious of her ease during the test, but also proud because you had passed earlier and you knew the feel of proving how you were worthy. You were sure that Shadis would be thinking of her as talented this time even though Sasha didn't think of the test as an exam at all. She was obviously enjoying the test as a game to spend time in the laziest way.

"I was standing more elegantly," Lisa protested.

Lisa was, during the test, standing like a hanging doll, a bored expression all over her face as if she was waiting for an annoying tea party to end. She stood, steady like a rock, sighing with her gaze fixed on something at her left, and she looked exactly like a living puppet at that moment with her blond hair and green eyes.

You rolled your eyes and walked before Lisa towards the tool shed.

Well, you had succeeded with even more life and emotions. Thanks to Alek. Whoever could've helped Lisa and Sasha wouldn't have done it with the same impact as Alek's on you.

As you reached the door of the shed, you unguardedly thought back of the discussion you had surprised.

The boy who said he'd kill all the Titans.

Undoubtedly, it was Jaëger.

But no one could've promised you he was the only one full of grief.

Grief... The boy with the teal eyes.

You suddenly felt a pinch in your heart. Could it be him?

You shuddered and puffed out your cheeks. Well, rather him than Eren Jaëger.