Chapter three : Titans

"Surviving historical documents say nothing about the Titans' origin. We know very little about them and what information we do have comes from reports made by the Survey Corps. There has been no evidence that their intelligence approaches our own and therefore, attempts to communicate with them have been unsuccessful."

You stopped biting your pen and quickly scribbled on your copybook.

"This lesson is so boring... When does the meal bell ring?"

One kick towards Sasha. "Shhh, I'm listening."

"The Titan body structure differs fundamentally from that of other creatures. They lack sexual organs and their ways of reproduction as well as their wills concerning the topic remain unknown. However, they mostly appear males. Along with that, they have extremely high body temperatures and inexplicably show no interest into other non-human creatures. Their sole purpose in life seems to be the consumption of humans but considering they have survived for more than a century in an environment devoid of human life, it is likely they have no need to eat at all and we believe that their goal in feeding isn't to gain sustenance, but simply to kill."

The pen slipped from your fingers and the teacher suddenly stopped talking at the sound of the slim object hitting the floor.

"Any comment, Miss?" he said, frowning as you hurriedly got the pen back.

"No, sir," you hastily barked.

The teacher glared at you for a while and little giggles ran through the classroom. You held your breath and he eventually turned around.

Their goal in feeding wasn't to gain sustenance, but simply to kill.

So that was what the Titans truly were. Murderers.

Humanity's murderers.

You bit your lip and tensely wrote down the sentence.

"As to why they have posed such a threat for humanity, their incredible vitality is the main factor," the teacher went on. "Humanity has possessed cannon technology since antiquity, but it has proved insufficient and even decapitated Titans won't die. According to the Survey Corps, their heads will regenerate within one or two minutes."

"No way..." murmured a boy behind you.

"... Really?" a girl exclaimed.

"Their size itself is a problem," whispered another boy.

A wave of whispers engulfed the classroom. You started shaking. Had you been stupid enough to believe that killing Titans was easy? You glanced around you and met the tensed gazes of the trainees around you.

Were you scared?

A voice suddenly rose up. "Excuse me, sir, but does it mean Titans are invincible?"

A noise of chalk scratching against the blackboard caught your attention and you realised the teacher was drawing something on it. "They are not," he said, and the lines of a back slowly started to appear on the black surface. "There is one way to defeat them. Target this area." The teacher drew a circle around the nape and you felt the whole classroom along with you tilt their heads in confusion. The teacher sighed and tapped the circle with his chalk, going on. "Inflicting several damages here will prevent regeneration and the Titan will die. Consequently, we use two swords to rend away their flesh."

The teacher turned towards his desk and showed a pair of cutter-like blades. Actually, they were exactly like cutter blades, if not much longer. The hilts were equipped with a trigger and you guessed that it was the operating device of the 3D Maneuver Gear you'd get to be tested for that afternoon.