Chapter Nine: Dies Iraves

“She’s the spawn of Satan!” I hissed. “No, no, she’s definitely the devil. My mother once told me that we all have a little piece of the devil inside of us, but that lady has a little bit more than a piece—like a hunk or something!”

“Don’t tell me how you really feel, Lena,” Norma told me sarcastically, grinning. “I will admit that Tuck is undeniably evil, but I wouldn’t go as far as to saying that she’s demonic, personally.”

“I could see it all in that pink old lady cardigan she was wearing. She’s already plotting my demise, Norma.”

She laughed. “Can you blame her? You told her that her cardigan made small children weep.”

“It has cats on it,” I reminded her emotionlessly, my eyes twitching at the thought of it. “It has cats chasing string and it is powder pink, not to mention that it’s an old lady cardigan in the first place. Anyone that appreciates fashion of any type sees a disaster like that and feels the seizure building up.”

“I doubt that most people would rely on you as being the model of fashion,” she pointed out, amused.

I wagged my finger at her. “Check yourself before you wreck yourself, Norm. I’m growing impatient with people bashing my carefully constructed outfit of awesome. One day in the near future, because of words like yours eating at my mind, I’m going to lose my marbles.”

“Your marbles have already been lost, my dear,” a familiar voice promised me in a purr as they slung an arm around my shoulders, falling into step beside us. “So how did Tyler’s class go with Mr. Lancaster? Were you as socially awkward as always or did you somehow manage to make a breakthrough?”

I glared sideways at Kline. “You have no life.”

“You totally were awkward!” she cried, busting out laughing as she radiated her amusement. “Oh, Lena, you’re so awkward and adorable. It’s kind of like combining Kristen Stewart and Auggie from that show Covert Affairs.”

“Auggie is a dude!” I announced, outraged at the generalization, while Norma on my other side just laughed along with the little menace as merrily as she shall. I narrowed my eyes at Kline, but she just raised her free hand in surrender, obviously not caring that my warning look was kind of my last straw before I was karate chopping people in the throat.

“You have to admit that the boy is gorgeous,” Kline argued simply. “He’s a whole other level above adorkable. He’s just a hundred percent dorky and hot.”

“He’s too old for you,” Norma reminded the girl like she had already done so a thousand times before, and that was proven by the way Kline waved her off and rolled her eyes, even though she sighed like the world was so, so unfair.

“I can look,” she replied, and the three of us couldn’t help but to start giggling like the complete idiots that we happen to be some of the time.

Norma and Kline led me through a maze of hallways to the point that it felt like we were definitely going in circles, and I was almost a hundred percent positive that we had passed the same decorated doorway three times already. Eventually we made it to a dead end hallway with one door at the very end on each side, the florescent light outside of them flickering in a horror movie kind of way that made me wonder if my next class was going to be solely based on the studies of stereotypical vampires or something of the supernatural persuasion.

I turned to look at the two of them warily. “I’m not about to be raped, am I?”

“Maybe,” they chimed simultaneously before they grabbed my arms and dragged me to the doorway on the right, smirking at each other knowingly before they threw the door open—