Chapter Four

Nobody threw food at me. In fact, no one even really looked at me. I found my time on the shame table quite boring. Besides sitting on my knees, I found I could lay down if I wanted, roll around with some difficulty, and could spend my time playing with the chains of my shackles.

I was lying on my back, twisting the chain around my wrist repeatedly when something clanged against the table next to my head. I jumped with surprise, twisting quickly to find a bowl of soup placed in front of me. I stared at it a moment and looked up to find someone standing in front of the table, leaning against what appeared to be a lance of some kind.

She looked familiar to me. Her hair was dark red, like blood unlike the lighter ginger my family inherited. She had it tied down her back in a braid. And her eyes were a light, illuminating blue like sapphire gems. Looking into them, I recalled where I saw them before.

"You were the black wolf," I declared, now completely suspicious of her.

"I was," She stated, a sort of quiet grace in her tone that said she didn't raise her voice often... that is, unless it's a loud, alerting howl in the night. She lifted a hand from her weapon and pointed to the bowl. "I've brought you food."

"You called them to me in the hunt!" I continued with distrust.

"Yes, well... they were quite distracted by rabbits," She suddenly smiled at me as I widened my eyes. To avoid admitting I rubbed my blood all over those poor bunnies, I reached for the bowl of soup and began eating it with vigor. I was pretty much starving.

"My name is Cate," She introduced herself easily. I didn't stop to give my name, but continued eating while looking at her suspiciously. Despite her more serious aura, she seemed curious and playful. If anything, it was like having my aunt trying to cheer me up when I was a child. It was strange. "What's your name?"

I finally stopped and frowned. "Milena. Everyone calls me Mila."

"Mila, huh? What do you think of Alpha Roman so far?"

"He's an asshole." I continued to finish the soup, ignoring Cate's laugh. When I was done, I looked at her carefully. She was clothed in a uniform of sorts. Along her waist was a blade probably no longer than her forearm and the lance she leaned on held a sharp and impressive tip.

"I'm a warrior wolf," Cate explained to me before I could ask, straightening herself before posing with her lance. It took me a moment before I realized as she twisted and turned that she was being downright silly. I frowned at her for a moment, but when she feinted a trip and then steadied herself, a smile slipped onto my lips despite myself.

"Are you really a warrior?"

"What's that supposed to mean?" She asked me, pretending offense. I watched as she looked over her shoulder at the empty mess hall where previously lycans had fed and otherwise peered at me curiously. "They wouldn't throw anything at you because you proved yourself superior to them. And also because they think you're blessed by the Mother."

I hesitated, "Who's the Mother?"

Cate smiled with amusement, but humored me.

"She's the Moon Goddess, or rather one of them. Apparently you called out for her just before you challenged them all, including Alpha Roman," Cate informed me simply.

"I called out for my mother," I finally admitted with frustration.

"I wouldn't tell anyone that, if I were you." She straightened herself once more before glancing at me a final time. "Good luck in your fight against the Alpha. Should be a pretty interesting one, considering." Without explaining what was to consider, she walked away swiftly and left me on my own.