Chapter 14 - The Mama

Megan was tantamount to hysterical by the time that Mama called later that evening.  Appearing on the flat screen in the living room once more she found herself shaking in a cold sweat.

“Whatever is the matter with you?” Mama asked perturbed.  “You’re shaking like a leaf.”

“Did you hire them too?”

“Them?  Them who?”

“My friends.  Nikita and Ruth.  Did you hire them?”

“No, why on Earth would…?”

“Because they’re powerful and strong like me.  Why the hell not?”

“I have not hired them, Babydoll.”

“So it’s just a coincidence that they run away from home the same day I do?”

“They did?”  Mama asked surprised.  “I assure you, Babydoll, I have not been in touch with either Miss Rice or West since that meeting at the school.”

“Then why…?”

“I’m sure I don’t know.  If it makes you feel better I’ll put my best man on the job to find them and make sure they’re safe.”

“Really?” Megan asked doubtfully.

“I promise.  Now might we return to work?”

Megan shrugged.

“Shall I take that as a yes?  Good.  Well, it seems that Flame has been spotted entering a night club she owns in Memphis.  Which I find rather surprising, after your encounter this morning.”

“You think it is a set up?  A trap?”

“Perhaps.  I believe the woman to have been spotted entering the night club is just a double.”

“What makes you think that?”

“The real Flame has a tattoo on her back of some sort of celtic design.”

“And the other woman doesn’t, I guess?”

“No and she was wearing a rather revealing costume.  Normally, after such an attack, Flame retreats until she has healed.  But mostly she spends her time relaxing at a spa downtown.”

“What if you’re wrong?  What if the real Flame is at the night club after all?”

“Then check it out after you’ve been to the spa.  I’ll text you the whereabouts of the spa and club in a moment.  Good luck.”

Megan still shook violently as she moved onto the upper floor where the giant walk in wardrobe was filled with all sorts of disguises.  She pulled on tight black pants, ankle boots and a dark purple shirt.  After adding a long fake nose she pulled on a long dark, glossy wig that reminded her vividly of Nikita and a pair of grass green contact lenses that could’ve been Ruth’s eyes.  There was a blazer style coat which had a few secret inner pockets where she deposited a knife, a gun and a hand grenade.

She shook even harder as the small lump where the grenade lay rubbed against her chest.  Hastily removing it, in fear she’d set it off whilst it was still in her pocket, she swapped for some more ammo.

“You can do this.” She said to her reflection in the full length mirror.  She added a touch of make up, darker than she would normally go for and said, “You’re tougher than everyone gives you credit for.  And you’re gonna find your friends.”

Megan took several deep steadying breaths and found herself quite still and her heart rate back to normal.  There was nothing left to lose.

“Here I come, ready or not.”