Chapter III

"Stace! You done yet?"

Stacey closed the closet door shut once she hung her last piece of clothing and tiredly smiled around her new room, happy that she finally finished the worst part of moving, and proud of the way it turned out. "I am now!" she called.

"Come down here!" Anne shouted from down the stairs.

Sighing, Stacey forced herself out of the bedroom and sauntered down the staircase, her hand carelessly dragging itself on the rail. Once she reached the living room, she found her mother pulling her thick hair up into a high ponytail.

"What's up?" Stacey questioned.

"I'm going down to the café right now," Anne responded, scooping up her purse. "Do you want to come with me? I can introduce you to everyone there."

Stacey's mother owned a café. She had opened it two weeks after she and Marshall divorced to try and make a living for herself. She had met Frank, who worked as a banker, at that place when he came in for a coffee. Although she was offered many stable jobs after they married, she always turned them away. She could never give up her precious café.

"Mmm..." Stacey said in deep thought.

"It's just to get you started," Anne explained. "You know, get used to the neighbourhood and everything... Make new friends..."

"Yeah, let me just get my bag," Stacey replied, nodding in agreement.

After quickly grabbing her black handbag from the night table, she and Anne bid Frank goodbye before leaving the house.

***

"Oh, Anne, she's so much prettier in person!" one of the waitresses, Donna, squealed once Anne introduced Stacey to the employees.

Stacey's cheeks profusely burned a deep shade of crimson. Donna threw her arms around her shoulders and forced her into an all-too-tight hug. Stacey returned the embrace awkwardly.

"Heh... Hello," she said uncomfortably.

"Donna's a real hugger," Kate, another waitress, chuckled. "Donna, let her breathe for Christ's sake!"

Donna obediently released Stacey from her hug and apologetically smiled. "Please excuse me," she said breathlessly. "Your mother's told us so much about you. I've always wanted to meet you, but I never thought you'd be this beautiful!"

"I bet you've broken a lot of hearts," the final waitress who was standing in front of the cash register, Elly, said.

Again, Stacey blushed. "Not really," she laughed nervously. "I've never been on a date. Dad never let me."

"Shame!" Donna gasped. "You would've caught a lot of guys' attention!"

"Oh, leave the poor girl be," Kate sighed. "Can't you see she's uncomfortable?"

"She's only new," Anne winked at her daughter as she tied her dark green apron behind her back. "You're ok, right Stace?"

"Fine, yeah," Stacey nodded, seating herself in front of the counter on one of the stools.

"I know a guy," Donna said eagerly, leaning towards her. "Steve. He's a nice boy."

"Oh, yes, he's a doll!" Anne cried. "Just last week, he helped me carry those bags of ice! And he's helped the elderly around the neighbourhood with their lawns and everything!"

"You don't see that everyday," Elly agreed. "Wish I was young again just so I can get a piece of him."

"You could say that again," Donna sighed dramatically. She looked at Stacey and grinned. "This is what age does to us, Stace. Enjoy yourself while you can. After all, you aren't getting any younger."