Prologue

So this is the second story I've posted. If you have any critique, I would love to hear it,just please say it in a nice manner, otherwise it I will not reply/your comment will be removed. Thanks! I hope you enjoy it! 

 Stella's picture up top!

Cast photo here (and in external link): http://oi62.tinypic.com/10dgne0.jpg

___________________________________________________________

 -18 Years Ago-

I ran as quickly as I could, holding my 1 year old, crying baby girl to my chest. I was breathing heavily, not from the workout, but from the panic. War was being declared between the two kingdoms and I couldn't have my child caught in the middle of a war zone. Which was why I was doing what any mother would do to keep her child away from danger: give her to someone who could keep her safe.

I ran for miles with my husband by my side encouraging me on, knowing full well, that if I missed this opening between worlds, I would lose all hope of keeping Stella safe. Stella, my daughter. Her name means star, you know? My star.

I felt my husband, Lucian, grab my hand. "Just a little farther, Saraphine! You can do this," I heard him yell, as he looked back at me. But when I looked in his eyes, it seemed he wasn't just talking about getting to our destination, but about giving up our little girl. I looked back ahead and could see a shimmering blue light in the distance. The portal. That's when I heard the horse hooves somewhere behind us. They found us. I pushed myself harder, making my legs run a little bit faster as my sword thumped against my back rhythmically. The light got bigger and bigger until we were standing there in front of it with two pairs of eyes staring straight back into ours. These were the people who would take care of my bright, shining star, the people who would keep her safe.

I looked down at her to see she was still crying, but not as hard as before. I could feel tears pricking the backs of my eyes. "My little baby Stella," I whispered softly. "I will come back for you one day and not a single second will pass where I do not think of you. You are and always will be my shining star I look for in the night," I smiled down at her wiping away a stray tear from her cheek. "Saraphine, we have to do this now," I heard a voice say as I felt a hand on the small of my back. I looked up at Lucian to see his eyes shimmering with tears, like I knew mine were.

How could this be happening to us? We had tried for so long for a child and once we have one, she's taken away from us in a moment's notice.

I looked through the portal again to those reassuring faces. These faces were my last hope. I stepped forward, just close enough to put my arms through, passing Stella into the other woman's arms. She smiled, looking down at my daughter. "Take care of her," I heard myself say, but it seemed strained. The woman, who had been stroking Stella's cheek, looked up, smiled, and nodded. "I will," she replied. The portal suddenly snapped shut, leaving Lucian and I in darkness, as a few tears rolled down my cheeks.

The horse hooves stopped behind us. I could hear thumps, as the Solas soldiers hit the ground. Soldiers of light. Lucian and I turned to see them standing with their swords held pointed at us. These people, these evil bastards took away my only daughter and I was going to make them pay the only way I knew how. To give them a grieving mothers wrath.

 -3 months ago-

"Yo, I'll tell you what I want, what I really really want", I sang loudly, but horribly off key. My parents and I were currently driving back from my birthday dinner. I turned nineteen today, but I didn't feel more than nine at that moment. "So tell me what you want, what you really really want", my mom continued. Her voice was perfect. It always had been. Especially when singing the Spice Girls. My dad was currently in the driver's seat, laughing like I haven't seen him laugh in a long time. I continued singing as I looked out the window. It had been snowing for a day now without much let-up. But it wasn't very surprising where we lived for the weather to be crazy. My dad had always said, it was either go hard or go home with the type of climate we lived in.

My favorite part of the song was coming up. I tried to get my voice as high as it could go as I belted the lyrics out. "If you wanna be my lover, you gotta get with my friends. Make it last forever. Friendship never ends." I could see some tears forming in my dad's eyes by now from laughing so hard. He took a look back at me and smiled so wide. I started smiling back when there suddenly came a blinding light from the front windshield.

"Dad," I screamed frantically, "Watch out!" It seemed like everything had frozen. Like in those books and movies when something bad happens, you know? My mind was trying to understand what was happening in front of me. Was this truck really heading for us straight on, or was this a really bad dream? Above all else, though, all I could really think was this is how I'm going to die.

My chest tightened with terror. I squeezed my eyes shut for a second thinking maybe that was all I had to do to wake up, but when I opened my eyes I realized that it was real. It was all real. Things suddenly started to speed up and all I could hear was my mother's piercing scream and tires squealing, but it sounded so far away. I felt the car swerve, making my body jerk forward, and locking the seat belt in place...then everything went black.

 -Present Day-

The great band Cinderella once said, "Don't know what you got till it's gone"...and it's true. You don't know. You go through days thinking nothing will ever change, you will always have it, so why take the time to appreciate it at the moment when you know it's going to be there later on, but sometimes those things get taken away from you and you realize what a mistake you made.

My name is Stella Patel and my father died 3 months ago in a car crash and now it's just my mom and I, but ever since then, all I can think is why did I not appreciate him as much as I should have. You should always cherish the love your parents give you, the hugs, the kisses, the reading of bed time stories and lying in bed with you till you fall asleep at night because you're afraid of the monsters. It's all so important, but no one ever realizes it because we're too busy wanting more things that sooner or later we'll forget about.

And I'm not going to lie, I was one of those people until he passed. Now I know nothing lasts forever. Sooner or later everyone will be taken from you, but it's up to you to know how to spend the time you have with those people.  Don't let a single moment go unnoticed because you will want all those memories later on. Too bad almost all of the memories I had were full of lies.