Chapter Six - The Black Witch

[Add the book to your library to get a notification for when each NEW chapter is uploaded, and don't forget to vote!]

   “Would you like to know the name our parents gave you? Your real name?” Dexen said, breaking the silence that had stayed between them for over an hour. Riley was still trying to wrap his mind around the truth of who Hart was and that he actually had a real brother. To him, it all seemed like another crazy hallucination. But he knew better than to mix dreams with reality.

Riley slowly turned to Dexen, staring at him curiously and whispered, “I have a real name?”

Dexen nodded back, his lips forming into a trustworthy smile. Dexen smiled a lot, Riley noticed. He didn't know if it was because Dexen was genuinely happy, or if he was just kind. But every time he smiled, Riley felt at peace, like nothing could harm him.

“Jaxon, J-A-X-O-N,” he told Riley.

“Jaxon,” Riley said, sounding out the name. “Dexen.”

Dexen laughed at Riley's reaction. “Yeah, five letter name with an X in the middle. Don't ask me why our names are like that, I'm sure our parents knew what they were doing.”

“I like it, but I won't be using it,” Riley said seriously.

“Didn't expect you to.”

Riley noticed the discomfort in Dexen's face as he rubbed his hand over his shoulder, the collar of his shirt moving, showing that there was something dark underneath the fabric on his skin. Riley's eyes widened, his heart racing as he realized his brother, his only family, was hurt.

“You're hurt,” Riley said, his eyes goggling over the barely visible spot on Dexen's shoulder. “Did Hart hurt you?”

“No, luckily the demon was injured, so he was weak and couldn't really use his full potential on me, otherwise we probably wouldn't have made it out.”

Riley thought back to the stab wound, the one he put on Hart for lying to him again and using him to bring Jocelyn back. Strange coincidence. What would have really happened if Riley hadn't stabbed him? What if he used his full potential? Whatever that meant.

“You can thank me for that,” he said in a low tone, not really expecting Dexen to hear it and comment on it.

“What did you do?” Dexen asked, still rubbing his shoulder.

“I stabbed him and he can't heal from it,” Riley replied, shrugging like it was the simplest task, to stab a demon.

“How did you manage that?” Dexen looked surprised.

Riley wasn't sure where he put his dagger, he couldn't feel it in his pocket. He called out to it in his mind and it appeared on the table between his hands. They both looked down as it appeared, shining beautifully.

“This dagger can hurt them, it can kill them, and they can't heal from it,” Riley told him, grabbing the weapon by the handle and holding it up for Dexen to see.

“Is that what I think it is?”

“You know what it is?”

“Yeah, if what you say is true, it's the dagger of Lucifer. The legend says there are two of them, one for a female and one for a male. Lucifer created them for his two children, so that when the day comes that he is defeated, they can take his place on the throne and rule the universe.”

“Oh, God. I'm connected to the dagger of Lucifer,” Riley groaned, dropping the dagger like it was made out of lava.

“Riley,” Dexen grabbed his hand, firmly grasping it, “I'm going to do everything in my power to help you. But before I do that, you need to help me understand. Will you answer a few questions for me?”