Chapter Three - Seeing is Believing

[Add the book to your library to get a notification for when each NEW chapter is uploaded, and don't forget to vote!]

   Riley was sleeping when suddenly he dreamed that Sera was standing behind him, watching him sleep. His dream, now a nightmare, replaced Hart in all of the moments that happened in their house. Sera was the one kidnapping him this time, torturing him, showing him a new dark world, and in the end, killing his sister. His eyes opened as he let out a sharp gasp and he quickly looked around to make sure it was only a dream. There was no sign of Sera or evidence that she was here. Nicholas was sitting against a wall, sleeping peacefully and undisturbed.

It was dark, but Riley knew the sun would rise any minute. He got up from the cold ground and quietly searched the abandoned building. Sera said she came here, and she didn't deny when he asked her if she hurt Nicholas. But he was perfectly fine, so did she lie? Was she ever here at all? There was nothing in this place that gave away that a third member had been here before.

“Lies after lies,” he muttered under his breath.

He wasn't so sure if Hart was even alive anymore. He couldn't be, right? Riley killed him with the dagger. And even though he didn't know everything about the supernatural side of life, he knew Hart didn't lie when he said the dagger could kill him. Hart never healed from the scar Riley put on his face. Riley also killed that giant monster in the dark room with just the dagger. And why would the Mayor look so afraid when the dagger was put in his face?

Riley took out the dagger from his pocket and stared at it.

Why are you so important? He thought as he ran his fingers across the symbols filled with his blood.

“Morning.”

Riley's heart raced at the unexpected voice coming from behind him. It was only Nicholas, but would it kill him to make some noise before coming up behind him? Riley kept the dagger in his hand as he turned to face a tired looking Nicholas.

“Are you okay?” Riley asked.

“Me? I should be asking you the same question.”

“Yeah, I'm fine,” Riley replied, remembering that he had passed out from the pain. “Was she here?”

Nicholas looked lost. “Who?”

“Sera, the woman back at the hospital. Was she here?”

“Not that I noticed, why? Did you see her?”

Riley nodded and scurried over to pick up his belongings. He placed the dagger inside his backpack, knowing that if he carried it in his pocket all day long, he'd have cuts from how long it was. He was starting to feel nervous and a little bit sick. He was about to find out if Hart was alive or not, and he had no idea what he was going to do if he found him still breathing.

“She knows we're here, so we're leaving.”

“Where?”

“Back to where it all began.”

And back to the beginning they went. It was a long trip, but after taking a taxi to the edge of the town, they walked a couple of miles through the forest and found themselves on tire tracks from the many times Hart had come through. Nicholas stayed quiet the whole time, like he knew that Riley needed to be alone with his thoughts. He wanted to thank him, but couldn't find the words to do so. His throat felt dry and scratchy, and every breath he took felt like poison.

Riley wondered if his sister, Fiona, had come through this invisible road, too. Was this how she found him? She must have looked for so long. He wanted to talk to her again, ask her how she did it and to hold her and tell her how much he loved her for never giving up on him, but he couldn't, because the man he loved killed her.