« prologue »

c a r a

"How are you, miss?"

A perfect, blonde, apparently American or, possibly Canadian, flight stewardess, based on her cute accent, grinned, causing me to set down my book that seemed to be making no sense. I had never exactly been a bookworm, but I had found virtually nothing else to do on this early morning plane ride, so a book was naturally the best thing I could have chosen to occupy myself.

Her blue attendant's uniform was pulled snugly around her small curves, v-cut and overlapping at the neckline, a thick material absent from far more of her front than should be allowed. Definitely American. The woman's hair was pulled up in a flawless bun atop her head, her mascara and eyeliner thankfully professional but still slightly intense, ruby red stain covered by shiny gloss enclosing the crisp whiteness of her teeth. Her long legs were left exposed by the short skirt of the same blue as the overcoat that most likely wasn't over anything but her bra.

Before I could reply, her overly perky voice quipped, "Anything I could get you? Tea maybe? Or a coffee?" Of course. I had wondered why this attention-seeking woman had even considered coming over here instead of staying up a few rows of seats with the group of three "friendly" guys a tad bit older than me and flirting; she'd approached simply to pressure me into buying something.

"Um, no. But thank you," I added hastily, trying to spare the scantily dressed lady's feelings.

"You sure, miss? You look parched." Okay, her constant hounding, even though I clearly stated I did not want anything, gets on my nerves.

"I said-" The plane rattled, shaking with far more than simply turbulence. "What was that?" I asked the woman. Without a word, she turned and raced to the cockpit.

Most others on the plane were asleep, although a few young children awoke with the shaking. One baby even started wailing, the two now-aware parents shushing it exasperatedly. Something was seriously wrong. Were we going to.... Crash? I was probably overreacting; my fear of not seeing Noah again was taking over and scaring me to death. There's no possible way we could crash.

My heart dropped and suspicions were fuelled by the pilot and copilot's voices over the loudspeakers, "Please be seated and fasten your seat-belts. Be prepared for emergency procedures, in the unlikely event that we have an issue. We are hitting a rough patch, but just to be safe, know where your breathers are. Please remain calm."

"Have a nice fl-"

A wing dipped, tipping a few glasses of vod- ahem, I mean water, from their places in cup-holders, hands, and off trays, and toppling some miscellaneous bags from their perches on armrests and laps. Careening, the large aircraft toppled back and forth, regaining lift for a few savoured seconds before plummeting once more. What were the chances on such a short flight as this?

As we dove, I reached up to the overhead compartment: where the oxygen masks were supposedly stored. Except I couldn't find it. With a last glance out the dark window and over the two elderly women closer to the glass than I was, I saw we were falling sideways, about to crash into the ground. With a last gulp of air, I shut my eyes and-

(&)

"Miss! Miss, are you alright?" Gasping, I sat up, glancing around until realizing I'd fallen asleep during the late overnight flight. It was a dream.

"Y-yeah," I replied shakily, clutching my purse-which was on my lap during the entire endeavour-to my front with wobbling hands. The woman frowned doubtingly, but turned anyways to wonder out the window, the only light out there being those of street lamps, headlights, and office buildings.

I had less than a half hour left to land, but that was probably the longest twenty-five minutes of my life. Other than giving birth of course, albeit that was a while longer.

~ {Yay! Finally!
You guys are going to hate me for this, but I'm going to put a vote, read, and comment goal for this.

100 comments. --> other than just "update" please
500 votes.
600 reads.

Think you can do that? I think you can you Niallies c:
Until next time,

Ninah&Emmah} ~