(29) Finding the Tank

Adam turned his attention over to his side where more gunfire was going off. “Let’s go.”

It was then that I realized that there was another person with us. I wasn’t able to get a good look at him until we were outside. He had short blonde hair, a square jaw dusted with light whiskers, and a nice tall build. Since he was wearing a pair of worn out military pants, a white tank, and was armed with the standard military weaponry I think it was safe to assume that he was one of Fort Benning’s men…or at least he used to be.

The cries and hungry groans of Walkers pulled me away from the unknown man. I looked out into the endless swarm of Walkers crawling over each other with their arms outstretched towards us. Fear dropped into the pit of my stomach and I couldn’t help but shiver from it. Daryl tightened his grip on me and for a second I thought he even whispered something but with all the noise the Walkers and gunfire were making it was hard to tell.

Daryl let out a shrill whistle that cut through all of the other noises and suddenly Adam was taking the lead with both of his guns drawn. “We don’t have much ammo to work with so you better have not been lying about that car of yours.”

“Shut up an’ move your ass!” Daryl yelled as he gave Adam a shove in the ass with his foot.

Adam let out a few foul mouthed curses before firing his weapons at the nearby Walkers. Daryl stayed close behind Adam and the unnamed army guy covered our rear. Being carried around by Daryl and protected by my brother and his companion did nothing for my ego. I felt absolutely useless and the feeling did not sit well with me.

As we moved through the herd I struggled to keep one hand around Daryl’s neck and the other on the pack which was resting on my stomach. Something in my bag was rubbing against a tender part of my stomach so I reached into it to reposition the item. My fingers skimmed through the bag until I felt the grenades.

Adam’s guns clicked back, empty. He cursed before dropping one to the ground and turning to kick back a close by Walker. When another Walker came up on him from the side I almost screamed, but then I remembered that Adam had gone through the exact same training I had back at the CDC. He wasn’t as good as I was but he was more than capable of handling it himself. He roared as he bashed the Walker’s skull in with the butt of his gun. A new layer of blood splashed across Adam’s face and chest with every strike he made.

By the time Daryl was beside him again Adam was covered with the collated goop and it was dripping off of his face and shirt in clots. I unconsciously tightened my grip around Daryl’s neck as I looked at the man covered in Walker blood. He looked more like a crazed man than the boy I had once called my little brother. I looked him over quickly.

His black hair hung just below his ear and if it hadn’t been slick with blood it would have framed his square jaw. His shoulders were broader and I could tell through his clothing that his body had filled out more as well. Adam’s height however, was what shocked me the most. If he had been facing us I knew that he would have only had to notch his chin up slightly to be able to look Daryl in the eyes.

Was Adam really only thirteen years old? Or had I just thought of him as such? I wondered absently, He looks almost eighteen to me.

Something tugged on my hair. I barley even let out a squeak before Daryl was tugging me out of the Walker’s bite. “Damn it.” Daryl cursed quietly and lifted me up a little bit before kicking the Walker off its feet. “We’re getting nowhere.”

I felt my throat tighten as I looked up at his strong jaw. “There’s too many.”

“I can see that.” He said as he kicked another one down.