Chapter 5

I trembled as I read it over and over, my tears staining the paper. A cold hand of fear gripped my heart and I found that I wasn't able to breathe. I read one line, over and over, not wanting to believe it. But the truth sunk into my flesh and soul, ripping me up inside.

My eyes were unable to focus and my head was spinning.

"D-Dylan." It was nothing more than a whisper, and it's the last thing I remember before everything faded into black.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I woke up on the floor of my room wondering what the heck was going on. The letter was still clutched in my hand, my knuckles were white.

I remembered it now. The letter. The letter that told me Dylan was in a car accident. That he was in a coma. That he was seriously injured. That he might not make it; probably wouldn't.

I knew I shouldn't have left him. This is all my fault. If I had never left than we would be together, right now. He wouldn't be fighting for his life in the hospital.

I had to go and see him. I don't care what it takes. I ran downstairs, nearly blinded by my tears.

"MOM! Mom where are you?" I sobbed as I ran from room to room.

I ran to the backyard and saw her painting.

"Mom, I'm going back to Virginia." I said this with steel in my voice. I was unwavering though tears still streamed out of my eyes.

"Honey," she stood, placing her brush on the easel. "tell me whats going on. I understand that you miss your little friends, but I can be your friend too."

She didn't understand. "Mom-"

She cut me off, "You don't have to pull away from me, I'm your mother for God's sake!"

"Dylan's dying mom!" I screamed thrusting the papers into her face.

I pulled them away before she could take them, "He's dying." I said the word as if it was a foul tasting stain upon my tongue, which it was. "And I'm going back to see him."

"We need to talk about this. I understand what you're going through, but I can't just let you go off to Virginia without a care in the world."

She didn't understand, not at all. "I'll stay with Derek!"

"Your father told me about him. His parents are drunks, you are not staying with them." She folded her arms.

"They moved! They're living with Dylan's older brother now! I can stay with them." I was shouting and sobbing, all at once.

"They are going through a lot right now, I'm sure they don't want to have to take care of you."

"Take care of me? I can take care of myself! I'll sleep in the park if I have too!" She had to understand.

"No, you won't. We'll talk about this later, but right now I think you need to calm down. We'll figure out a way to do this." She was looking at me, with a sad expression.

I didn't want her sympathy, "I-"

"Go inside and wash up. I'll make us some lunch and then we can discuss things."

In my current state of mind, I couldn't fathom anything other than, Get to Dylan, get to Dylan, get to Dylan. She would never let me go if I screamed and raved. It was better than nothing, but I would have my way, and I would see Dylan this week if It killed me.