09 ~ signs

Annabelle rolled out of bed, her pyjamas hanging messily off her fragile frame as she stretched and yawned, before switching off her alarm clock, which was ringing loudly.

She hated Wednesdays.

On Wednesdays she had all the subjects that she found difficult: English literature, chemistry, physics and maths.

Anna looked at her school bag that was leaning against her door, which was brimming with exercise books, folders and homework sheets. She could barely close the zip last night – in the end she had to hold her bag between her legs and press them together before closing it.

“Hurry up, Anna! You have to walk to school today because me and your father have to leave early,” her mother called from downstairs.

“Okay,” Anna replied loudly, eyeing the monstrous, heavy bag which she wasn’t looking forward to carrying on a thirty-minute walk to school.

She really hated Wednesdays.

Annabelle walked out of her room and into the bathroom, her feet slapping against the cool white tiles as she padded over to the sink. After washing her face and brushing her teeth, Anna perused her neck in the mirror.

It didn’t look any different.

Anna swivelled around swiftly and stormed out the bathroom, rage consuming her as she slammed the door, before hurrying into her bedroom and opening her wardrobe.

After sifting through its contents frantically, Anna finally came to the tragic realisation that her school trousers were being washed after she’d spilt juice all over her second pair yesterday.

She froze as she realised what this meant.

For the first time in months, Anna was going to have to wear a skirt.

Anna loathed Wednesdays.

She ran to the staircase. “Mum, are my trousers clean?” she called down the stairs.

Her mother appeared at the foot of the stairs, an apron around her waist as she held a spatula in her hand. “No, honey,” she answered, her eyes apologetic. “I didn’t get round to it last night – I was dealing with a client’s profile.”

Anna nodded her head, aware that her mother’s demanding job as a lawyer gave her little time for other luxuries, let alone normal household chores.

Anna sighed as she held the black skirt in the air, before she changed, getting ready for school.

*

The breeze against Anna’s legs was an unknown feeling, and it made her self-conscious as she tugged the hem of her skirt down. It was just reaching her knees, and she’d worn some tights underneath as was required by the school rules.

Currently Anna was swerving through the busy corridor at school as she tried to reach her locker, but was constantly shoved by other students with the same intent as her own. Her shoulder was beginning to ache under the weight of her bag so Anna began to adjust the strap as she walked forwards, not looking at where she was going, before she bumped straight into Julianne.

Julianne sneered at Anna, muttering something that only Anna could hear. Anna’s head shot up, stating something back as a smile lit up her face. Julianne’s face morphed into one of confusion and surprise, but instead of responding she simply shrugged before pushing her way through the crowds once more.

Anna had a smile on her face for the rest of the day.