All It Needs Is A Little Rough Treatment

From what she could tell, it was about noon. So, five hours passed since Lori woke up and she's made little progress with the watch. Sitting inside a small wooden room, on a hard chair, wasn't the most pleasant working environment. Not to mention the heat from the fire wasn't helping matters, but Sam knew how to cook with a pot she had managed to get, along with some meat. 

Lori had been inside most of the day, rotating from working on the watch, walking around the small house, and helping Sam cook fish. The fish wasn't a very pleasent experiance either, but they got a pretty good lunch out of it. 

So, at about noon, Lori finally found something. 

She was using a small knife that she had stole from Sam after she was done with the fish. She jammed the blade of the knife inside the rim of the pocket watch, her intention to remove the clock part of it and look at the interior. She stopped in her efforts when she heard a small click. Something in the air changed, Lori's stomach twisting and a dull throb building in her temples. Quickly, she shut the watch. 

Everything seemed to stop, as if a switch had been turned off. She felt better almost instantly, her headache fading. Sam paused from what she was doing at the other side of the room and looked at her. 

"That was familiar," she pointed out, "that feeling...did you feel it too?"

Lori glanced up at her friend, "you mean the twisting in my gut and slowly building headache?"

"Yeah!" Sam pointed towards her, "exactly that. I felt it when we passed out in the park back home, and then the watch sent us here."

Lori nodded, looking down at the watch. She smiled, "All it needed was a little rough treatment. It seems that I pressed or twisted something inside the watch and activated it again. But, I closed it and it seems to have turned off or when into sleep mode or something."

"Good!" Sam exclaimed, "we can head back! Or forward, whatever."

"Hold on," Lori said, pulling herself off of the chair and picked up the watch. "We shouldn't head out yet, Sam. I'm not sure if this will send us back to our time or to some other random time in history."

"So, what? You want to stay here?" Sam asked, confused. 

"No, of course not," Lori said, "I've seen enough television shows and read enough books about time travel to know that it usually ends badly. I want to get back to our time as much as you do, believe me, but we have to be prepared if that's not where we end up."

Sam seemed to think that over, then nodded her head. "Alright, fine, what do you think we should do?"

"Grab as much stuff we can get from this room," Lori instructed, "a few blankets, food, weapons."

"Why weapons?"

Lori smirked slightly, "dinosaurs."

Sam rolled her eyes, "alright, fine, a weapon would be a good idea," she then turned, opening up the chest that she was just rummaging through a few minutes. "And, as it just so happens, I have a blanket."

She pulled out a rather ugly blanket, the texture looking rough. Lori guessed that it must feel like it looks. 

"Okay, great, fold it up and place it on the table," she turned towards the pot and pulled if from it's position from over the fire and carefully removed the contents. There was some dried meat that Sam seemed rather found of, so she guessed that it would last maybe a day. She placed some on the blanket, along with the knife, and wrapped them up. 

"Hopefully that meat will last until nightfall, then we can activate the watch and get out of this time." Lori explained, glancing up at Sam. She could feel her heart beating in her chest with excitement. She spent barely a day here and she never missed her home so much.