Chapter 10 Archelaus

Chapter 10

Archelaus

    I wait anxiously in the main throne room for my future husband. My heart continues to thump like thunder until I realize something. I never gave my word I would marry this man. I only agreed to meet him. If I do not care for this man, I can simply send him on his way and move on with my life. After what happened, in my last marriage, I am not so eager to try this again.

    Sitting on my throne, I am dressed in my finest pearl gown with my double crown resting on my head. Several nobles gather around, wanting to be the first to witness the potential royal union.

    The doors then burst open and the announcer says, “May I present, Archelaus, a prince in his lands.”

    The man that walks along the central path in this room must be the most beautiful man I have ever come across in my entire life. He has a rounded baby face and golden hair combed perfectly behind his ears. I find I could easily get pulled into his two whirlpool of blue eyes and be lost in them forever.

    My heart begins to pound even heavier, more out of pure excitement now. But then, as the next few moments fly by, I force my breaths calm. After all, I still know absolutely nothing about this man.

    He walks before me and kneels.

    “Your Majesty,” Archelaus says gently. “I am honored to be a guest in the home of the most beautiful woman in all the lands. I am Archelaus.”

    I notice he sure know how to speak to a woman. This man is already several steps above my first husband.

    I stand up and say, “Egypt welcomes you, Archelaus.”

    I shoot Pythagoras a brief nervous glance. He nods to me, offering encouragement to speak on.

    “I know why you were really brought here, Archelaus,” I say, bluntly. “I fear I cannot yet give you an answer on whether or not I will marry you.”

    I spot a hint of fury flicker in Pythagoras’s eyes, but he does not dare reveal his frustration.

    Archelaus, on the other hand, holds his pleasant smile. “Do not fret, my queen. I understand marriage is a delicate matter. We can discuss it privately later on. For now, let my offer you a gift to show my appreciation for letting me stay in your home.”

    He waves his hand and a man behind him hands Archelaus a rectangular box. My potential suitor himself then walks up to me and opens it before my eyes. Inside, rest a bold golden necklace, only fit for royalty.

    My eyes widen, taken aback by his gesture. I however, keep calm and merely say, “Thank you. Your kindness is quite touching, Archelaus.”

    He grins and says, “There is only much more to come, my queen. I would give you the Nile if I could manage.”

xXx

    “There is no reason to turn down this man’s proposal,” Pythagoras says firmly, as we discuss this matter the next day. “It would be foolish.”

    I shoot him a hard look and demand, “Are you calling me a fool, Pythagoras?”

    “Only if you send him away,” he answers.

    I take a dangerous step towards him. He trembles but stands his ground.

    “You risk your words, greatly, Pythagoras,” I comment. “You must feel quite strongly on this matter. You know I can put you to death for saying such words against me.”

    He sighs and points out, “If there is no stability to the throne of Egypt, it is likely I will die anyway.”

    I remain quiet, starting to see his point. I, however, say, “You have to understand why I do not wish to rush into another marriage, Pythagoras.”

    “I do,” he admits, “but this is not the same as your first. This man clearly adores you and would do anything you desire. I imagine this is the very man most young girls would dream to marry.”

    I let out a sigh. “It’s not that I don’t like him. I just…”

    At that moment, the entrance curtains brush open and a young man comes in and kneels, lifting up a tiny box. I command him to open it and I find inside rest a golden bracelet with pearls molded on.

    “A gift from Archelaus to the woman of his dreams,” he says quietly as I take the box.

    “You see,” Pythagoras says. “This man is crazy about you, and he will keep on showering you with gifts until you accept his proposal.”

xXx

    Just as Pythagoras predicted, the gifts from Archelaus flowed in as though the Nile itself flowed straight into my chambers. For the next week, I had various jewels, fine silk clothing, and even a soft satin cushion brought to me. I know I should give Archelaus an answer, but I still cannot help but feel afraid of what this will do to me.

    Tonight I am to dine with Archelaus alone. I know this is the night I must give my final answer.

    When I enter the private dining room, I find Archelaus sits alone at the table. He arises the moment his eyes meet mine.

    “Your Majesty,” he says gently, as I take my seat.

    For a few moments we eat in silence. I take a few sips of wine in hopes of calming my nerves.

    He finally cracks the icy river by asking, “So have you given any more thought to my proposal.”

    “Well…” I begin slowly, unsure of just what to say. “I am truly grateful for everything you have given me since you arrived.”

    “And I will keep giving for the rest of our time together,” he declares, passionately. “Queen Berenice, I must say, I fell in love with you the moment my eyes fell upon you when I first arrived in your palace.”

    I smile as my breaths begin to grow rapid. I always feel so nervous around this man, but these nerves do not necessarily seem to be a bad thing.

    “I have told you how I feel,” Archelaus said, “but I never bothered to ask, my queen, how do you feel?”

    “I feel…” I honestly do not know the answer to this question. “Archelaus… I, uh…”

    Before I could stutter up a response, I hear urgent trotting and look up to see Pythagoras rushing in.

    “My Queen,” he pants with his hand on his chest, trying to bend forward for a brief bow. “Forgive me for interrupting, but I have recently discovered some disturbing news from the Romans.”

    I wave my hand and urge on, “Speak what you heard, Pythagoras.”

    “They Romans are backing the former Pharaoh of Egypt,” he says, his breaths still heavy. “They plan to use their forces to assist him in taking back the throne of Egypt.”

    I draw in a sharp breath. This means I will be going to war against the Roman Empire and my own father. I do not know which idea is more overwhelming. A dark hole begins to grow in my chest, filling with fear.

    I, however, manage to conceal my panic and calmly look across the table and say softly, “Archelaus, I accept your hand in marriage.”