x Chapter 3 x

Chapter 3:-

I can feel my heart beat faster in my chest, my breathing becomes shallow, my body tense as I try to make sense of what has just happened, as I try to feel something.

Pain...

Confusion...

Anger...

Fear...

But I don’t feel any of those things, instead I feel numb, like I’m watch this from a pass buyers point of view. I can feel thousands of eyes on me all, they gaze fixed on the girl whom has been reaped, and I wonder how they feel about it.

Upset...

Disappointed...

Shocked...

Relieved...

And like that, it’s as if the whole world snaps back into motion and I am back in my own body as the earth shatters around me. I feel Morgan’s tense beside me and when I turn to face her she is shaking, her skin pale as snow, tears streaming from her down her cheeks.

“Oh my gosh, Lana.....” she all but managed to croak out, before what happened really dawns on her and she covers her mouth with the palm of her hand.

I know what is going to happen now; I’ve seen it plenty of times before but never had I ever prepared for it happening to me. The sounds of sorrowful screams somewhere in the crowd, the sound of a woman’s broken sobs echoes through the silent crowd. It takes me a moment to release that it is my mum, screaming for me and lunging to reach me, only to be dragged back by my dad.

I release my grip from Morgan’s knowing that I only have one option and that is to go up and face the fate I have been given. I have thought of people who I’d have volunteered for had they been chosen, but there was one thing that hadn’t crossed my mind.

Would anyone volunteer for me?

“No....” I mumble, knowing that I would not want anyone to volunteer for me what so ever, I wouldn’t want anyone to have to face this.

But someone will volunteer..... The thought pushes through the whirlpool of thoughts in my brain..... What kind of best friend wouldn’t?

“No!”

“Lana?”

I turn to face Morgan, the girl who I had been with on the beach just this morning replaced with a girl who looks like the world is going to end. It is then I know that what my mind has said is true, what kind of best friend would Morgan be if she didn’t volunteer?

“Lana Hope?” Tayma confused voice rings through the crowd searching for me oblivious to the faces that are peering right in my direction.

“Morgan..” I grasp her hand tightly with mine “don’t do anything stupid ok...”

“Lana...”

“No!” I exclaim, tightening my grip on her “promise me that you won’t do ANYTHING stupid, ok? Please if anything of the promises you are going to keep, promise me this!”

I watch as tears fill in her green eyes and understanding dawns on her face, the realisation of what I mean. “I-I promise.”

“Good”

A flood of contempt washes over me, I may not have protected myself from the reaping but at least my best friend is safe. At least Dallas little sister is safe, and at the moment that’s all I can hope for.

There for I do what I must do.

I shove through the crowd of girls, tearing my gaze from Morgan’s terrified gaze and trying to ignore the sobs that wrack her body. In my peripheral vision I see a skinny brunet pull Morgan into a hug, and I know that she will be ok without me.