Chapter Two

CHAPTER TWO

The slamming of the front door, woke up Nix from her reverie.

The trumpets were still sounding  as she gingerly stepped off of the wood pile. Creeping around to the side of the house she  peered into the small window.  

Her mouth dropped in shock. The house was a mess. The few pots and pans they had were  spread all over the small counters. Rotting food took up space on an overturned barrel they  used as a table. That wasn't what was so infuriating though, those things were common in the Alba household. It was everything else. The ashes  from the small unlit fireplace had found a home on the main floor, and covering the walls. Nix's  tiny straw mattress had been tossed and strewn all over the floor. It was no good now. She  would have to wait until spring for a new mattress, if her mother even got her one. Nix saw her  pillow resting on her mother's feathers mattress. She knew she wouldn't get it back anytime  soon. Nix's worn old cloak was still hanging on the hook. She watched as Lana  tossed it into the fireplace, she thanked goodness it wasn't lit. 

Nix looked in again to see her mother standing by the front door, pulling on her warm winter  boots, thick wool cap, and putting on her nice winter coat. Nix couldn't help, but be envious,  and annoyed. The little money they had went to her mother's new and nice things.  

Her mother pretended to be as poor as possible so she could receive free food from the  Rational. In reality they made enough to buy their food, from Nix's knitting and some of the  herbs she grew in the garden. Although when it was time to sell her mother took credit for  those too.  

Nix walked away from the house a ways so as not to be in her mother's way when she came  barreling out. That was never something she enjoyed experiencing. Sure enough Lana came  running out of the house. Her face lit up with the excitement of going out, even on a day as  chilly as this.  

Lana's face dimmed when she saw Nix huddling a few feet away from the house. A scowl  twisted her features as she took in the shivering frame of her daughter.  

"I am going into Regnum. You are going to stay here until I come back. Is that clear brat? I want  the house to be spotless when I get back, understood? Also I don't want to waste anything, so  no fire, and no food. I might feed you when I get back if everything is done how I like, alright  munchkins?" Her voice took on a mocking sing-song quality. "No be a good little rat and do as  you are told." Her voice growled near the end.  

Nix nodded her head. She kept her eyes cast down refusing to make eye contact. She was  disappointed. No fire, no food, it was going to be a really rough night. Her mother would most  likely stay at an inn near Regnum City. So she would have to be home alone. Yay... She thought  sarcastically.  

Smack  

The sharp stinging pain on her cheek and a yank on her hair had her looking up. Her mother's hand swung back down  to her side.  

"You will look at me when I am speaking. Do you understand you little twit?" She snarled as she  clenched her hand In Nix's Hair.  

Nix nodded, painfully as her scalp began to ache.  

"What you don't have anything to say?" Lana brought her face up close to Nix's. "You are weak and pathetic, and you can't even say a word otherwise."  She wrenched her arm sideways, and flung Nix away from her. 

"Remember what I said." Lana barked as she wrenched open the garden gate and stalked down  the hill.  

Nix lay in the snow, watching her go. When her mother was no longer in view Nix tried to stand up. After about five minutes she had reached a crouching position. Bracing herself to stand, she  slowly began to stretch her muscles.  

Oomph.

Nix's body jolted back into the freezing snow as something icy hit her square in the chest.  Looking up she cringed at the sight she saw.  

Riles Krabes.  

The governors son. He was about three years younger the Nix's eighteen years, and the biggest  bully in Gretham. He was cruel for the fun of it, and loved to see others in pain. He also  happened to love tormenting Nix the best.

Now his family was passing the house, on their way to Regnum City. What a great opportunity  to tease the only person in the whole village who isn't going to go.  

"What's the matter mute? Cat got your tongue?" He taunted. "What did your mommy leave  

your hideous butt at home? I bet she did, I wouldn't want to be seen with your ugly mug." He cackled as he launched another rock filled snowball at Nix's small frame. 

With great difficulty Nix managed to get herself standing on her feet as she began to make her  way back to the house.

"Oh da poor wittle baby... Is you all scared?" He asked. All the while snowballs rained down  

around her. His taunts followed her around the garden to the front door.  

"Hey I am talking to you." Riles Shouted.

Like always Nix ignored him. What she couldn't ignore  was the massive rock covered in snow coming straight for her. She tried to duck, but was too  late. The stone collided with her forehead. Her body crumpled into the bank of snow.  The last thing she heard was Governor Krabes speaking to his son.  

"Son, do not degrade yourself any further. She is not worth it, besides she will die soon enough." 

Nix felt anger with his disrespect of someone who is beneath him. His holier than thou attitude  grated on her nerves, but before she could move against him her world went black.

~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~

A wet sensation tickled her nose. The frigid sensation that followed, began to wake Nix. A warm  nuzzling on her neck caused her to snap open her eyes... Alert. Looking down she startled when  she saw a small fawn. It was tiny, and so cute. Its brown fur tickled the bare skin of her arms. It  nuzzled into Nix for warmth. Looking up at her with large brown eyes, the sad expression caused Nix's heart to wrench painfully. Her hear went out to the small creature. Nix knew she had to get up. Even if her only motivation  was the look in a wild animals eyes, and its call for help.

In a painful process she stood. Standing in the freezing snow in a ragged dress she took  inventory of her body. She couldn't feel her toes. Her nose and ears felt as if they had fallen off  long ago. Her fingers chaffed against each other for warmth as Nix tried to rid them of their  bluish tint. 

A nudge at her side made her look down at the small animal. Right she thought. She slowly  walked into the house leading the deer. Entering the house Nix tried to find some food for the  animal, but couldn't. She collapsed on her mother's mattress, moaning in satisfaction. The bed  felt so amazing she temporarily forgot about the fawn.  Her eyes drifted shut. She didn't see the small deer run outside, as its mother came running up.  

She never noticed the multitude of eyes watching her from the windows. She noticed nothing  as her mind lead her to the escape she so desperately craved.  

Then Nix Alba fell asleep.

HEY!

So thanks again for reading!Please tell me what you think of the new updates! lso while you are at it, Vote, follow... etc. Also a side note! The original of this story is going to stay up for a little while longer, as per a request. It will be taken down though. Hopefully by the end of Februrary!

Love Ya,

~T