Chapter 20

Alex's POV

I couldn't help but smirk at Kelsy when Brody called me his best friend. She didn't look too happy. Well she wasn't because she just huffed out of the room. It took only seconds before Travis, Brody, and I to burst out laughing. 

"Oh man, did you see her face?" I ask between laughs. They can only nod. Once we stop laughing, the mood becomes somber. I clear my throat. "So, Brody, do you remember me now? I mean I thought maybe after seeing me, something might come back." He gets a look of deep concentration on his face. The few minutes he takes to think, feel like hours. He slowly and sadly shakes his head no. I bite back the tears. "It's okay. They may come back soon." He tries to grin, but it looks more like a grimace. I can't help but feel the same way. I look at Travis and he gives me a sympathetic smile. He wheels me over to Brody's bed and says, "I'm going to let you guys talk for a little bit. I'm going to call Clay. He said something about needing my help with wedding preparations." I nod my head, but I know he's not calling Clay. He's going to try and get ahold of Papa. But he won't succeed. 

"He's not really going to call your cousin is he?" Brody asks. I look at him with a surprised face. He blushes a little. "I remember some things about your family. Like how your mother died and how your father became..... distant." I grimace, but nod my head. 

"Yeah. Travis is going to try and get ahold of Papa. Though he won't succeed. If anything, he'll just get a sympathetic chat with Papa's secretary." Brody nods thoughtfully. A silence surrounds us, but it's not an uncomfortable one. It actually feels like it did before the accident. 

"Do you remember anything about the crash?" Brody asks softly. I'm startled when he speaks. I was caught in my own world. I don't know if I should lie to him or not. He looks me in the eyes and says, "Don't lie to me Alex. Please. I can't take anymore lies. Kelsy was here trying to fill my mind with lies. She said we were dating and that I loved her and stuff. But I just had this feeling like it wasn't true, you know?" I nod my head yes. "I had this feeling like I hated her, and then it came back when you walked in. I remember how nice she was when we were younger, and then how she changed." I just nod again. I don't know what to say. "She said she'd be back. She tried to kiss me." I feel jealousy creep into my veins. "But I pushed her away." And then it receeds. 

"Want me to be here when she comes back?"

"Yes please." I look at him and he's smiling at me. I smile back at him. He looks like my best friend. He even sounds like my best friend, and yet, there's still something different about him. Something that just breaks my heart. 'I feel like I should know that smile. Like I've seen it before, but I can't remember." And that shatters my heart.

xxxxxxxxxx

Well, here you go people! I'm sorry for such depressing chapters, but they will get happier! Hope you like it! Keep up the reads and likes! Thanks everyone. 

Fromtheheart01 is out.........