Battle Of Wills

Chapter 19:

It's funny how you see things in a completely different way than what someone else might see. Before my dad was shoving a pistol in my face, whispering every threat I've heard over and over again in my ear, I had just seen the van as a van. A vehicle that we used to get around and it just so happened that it was the perfect type to kidnap people, so that is what my dad used it for. As my dad marched me around the corner, I was finally able to see what the girls we took saw. I saw a black hole, a dark stain on this earth that would swallow me up and never spit me back out again. I saw the utter hopelessness of my situation, the crushing realization that if I ever saw the light of day again, it would be somewhere unfamiliar, cold, and I would never feel its warmth.

It was my first time actually being abducted, but I couldn't decide if it was worse to know what was going to happen, than to only have the horrors an unknowing mind might come up with.

Demetri drove while my dad made me sit between his legs, leaning against him to make it easier to hold the gun in my face. Ashley was being held against the giant monster of ripped muscle on the opposite side of the van.

"Where are you taking us?" Ashley spat. "Your house is probably swarming with FBI agents and police men, you have nowhere to go."

"I have everywhere to go." My dad laughed in my ear. "As long as they don't know where I am, I can go wherever I want to go.

"This was too easy." He gloated, his acidic breath grazing my ear. "It took me all of my self-control to not laugh at you while we were on the phone! Since when would my sensitive, baby boy give up something he was so attached to for such a selfish reason. I'm still your father. I know you better than you know yourself.

"Do you know what's going to happen next?" He lowered his voice so that only I could hear him. A cold shiver raced down my spine; I didn't want to know. "I'm going to take you both to one of those cute, abandoned houses we passed on the way to pick up your little girlfriend, and I'm going to make you watch me kill her slowly. But not before we have a little fun." He used his free hand to walk his fingers up my shoulder to my neck. "I know you hate the screaming, so I won't make you listen to it."

I held my breath. There was absolutely no way he would show me any mercy. I knew better than that.

"I'll make you do all of it yourself." He jammed his finger into the base of my neck, I cringed away from him and he pressed the muzzle of the gun deeper into my skin. I knew it wasn't actually cutting my flesh, but it sure felt like it. "We'll keep you two together, I'd hate to separate you love birds. That way she can see everything, and I won't touch her until you beg me to stop. You get to decide when we'll take care of her, and whatever happens to her will be your fault. So you can choose to try and hold out as long as you can, but we both know that you'll cave in the end. You're weak. And it's that weakness that will condemn both of you tonight. Maybe tomorrow, but you won't last long."

I shuddered, and he felt it run through my body.

"That's right." I knew he was smiling. "It'll be just like home."

Hours later, we arrived at his torture chamber. The house was in good condition and was set back away from the road to allow room for a yard. It was a two-story home made of yellow brick. Green vines stretched up like the fingers of the earth, clawing at the structure in hopes of bringing it down, returning it to dust so that it may rise again as something new.

Former owners decided that trees, weeping willows, would be the best thing to place at the front of their property to conceal their home. A perfect spot to set up shop.