Chapter Five

Chapter Five: What Happened After

The next morning, they were all back in the bistro clearing things up to accommodate more guests for the opening day tomorrow.

“If that was his idea of “I’ll keep it short” I’m terrified of what our end-of-the-month meetings would be like.” Belinda complained as they were restocking the counters for cups and tissue paper.

Kyla couldn’t hide her smile. Belinda may be complaining a lot but she works hard too. Since they’ve met, the two got a long quiet well. Kyla was glad she’d be working with someone who appreciates the kind of humor that she does. Sarcastic or not, every working place needs to have some outlet for entertainment, otherwise working at the bistro would be unbearably dull, Kyla reasoned.

Most of them were already in the store except for Frank who was coming in later that day, and so Kyla was left to help clean up the bistro while waiting for the baking supplies to be delivered.

In the middle of their conversation, they heard a loud clutter noise coming from the kitchen. Both women exchanged knowing glances before resuming their task.

“I don’t think Kevin would want to see his paycheck this month. “ Kyla commented, mentioning about the dishwasher Henry hired a couple of weeks ago. He was a nice kid probably around twenty, hardworking too. He just can’t get a grip on anything. Literally.

“I know. But I don’t think that disappointment will amount to Henry’s when he realizes we’re out of coffee mugs.” Belinda agreed.

“Hello ladies!” Greg greeted as he walked in the shop. “What are we ranting on about today?”

Ignoring his question, Belinda changed the topic. “Aren’t you supposed to be outback helping with the supplies?”

Greg replied: “The guys are just finishing out there. I’m here at your disposal ladies.” He said, mocking a bow.

“We were just restocking here and waiting for the baking supplies to arrive. You could help if you want.” Kyla offered.

“Oh, supplies’ in the kitchen, it came earlier than usual.” Greg assured. “But I wouldn’t go in there now. I heard glass breaking, I think Kevin’s on his third mug. He’s on a roll today.” He said as he was putting on his apron and started wiping the counter clean with a cloth. “Have you guys seen Henry? I heard the new store manager will drop by today.”

At this news, both women turned to look at him. “He found one already? Did he mention who it was?” Kyla inquired.

“Yeah, some guy he went to college with.” He replied. In the middle of their conversation, the shop’s door swung open and a well-built man that stood around 5’9 with dark hair stepped in.

They all shifted their gazes at the door as it swung open and saw the man.“Sorry, we’re close today.” Kyla informed him.

“Uh, actually I’m here to see Henry. Is he around?” the man inquired.

They exchanged meaningful glances before Greg turned to the man. “Yeah, he’s in the back. I’ll get him for you.”

“Thanks.” The man replied with a polite smile at them.

Belinda smiled back at him and offered if she could get him a cup of coffee. “Yeah, that’ll be great, thanks.” He answered. He looked around at the place while waiting for Henry, examining the interior of the coffee house. Kyla offered him a table but he courteously declined. “I’ll just take a look around.”